Control Levers.

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
56G80S

Re: Control Levers.

Post by 56G80S »

After over three decades of the "wrong" clutch lever I fitted the 7/8" ones from AMC Classic Spares and they made a big improvement. Still using the "original" (ha ha) brake lever as although not pretty it's serviceable.

Could be worth the wait.

Johnny B
Richard Mills

Post by Richard Mills »

g80csp11 wrote:Richard , if rather than extend the lever stop , spot weld a spacer strip to the handle bar . then the lever will not bend . not idea but safe for emergency stops
Just a thought !
I would rather damage the chrome on the lever than on the bars. With my welding skills I could easily achieve such damage even with a spot weld!
Richard Mills

Post by Richard Mills »

G15 Roy wrote:To help it would be nice to know that supplier .
Have just looked up the details and it was 'Steve Burch Classics' (www.sbvclassics.com). Seeing my email reminded me of a second fault with the levers which was that the pivot screw was fully threaded and would therefore wear away itself and the lever and become a weak and sloppy fit. I fitted an old pivot screw in its place. I think that a lot of replacement levers are using such screws.

Please note that this was in September 2015 and SBV may now be selling better items. Well, one can hope so. Also that they were good to deal with and promptly gave the refund.

Richard
LynP

Post by LynP »

I have also found that a lot of replacement levers have fully threaded screws, they are obviously cheaper to buy in when manufacturing. I always replace them with correct part threaded ones as the wear on the lever mount must be greatly increased. I must say it tells me that the people making them are more interested in a sale than correct functioning of the item.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

The control levers I have fitted currently are exactly as a lot of you have described... the 'support' doesn't actually come close to the handlebar and the pivot screw is fully threaded. So I ordered a pair from AMOC Spares and when they arrived today, I was somewhat disappointed to find that they were exactly the same poor quality items as the ones currently fitted.... I'll probably send them back and ask for a refund.

EDIT.... just noticed that the part numbers on the packaging are "WW83001" & "WW83002" so they are obviously Wassell products. Guess I shouldn't be surprised at the poor quality.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Pharisee wrote:.... they are obviously Wassell products. Guess I shouldn't be surprised at the poor quality.
Wassell distribute many excellent products. Whilst in the case of these levers I agree with you, John, as I have two pairs with the same two faults highlighted by others and it wouldn't seem to be much more costly to produce them 'right'. However, Wassell are volume dependent and supply what the major part of the market demands, which unfortunately too often is 'cheap' products. With the higher manufacturing costs in the U.K. and Europe and the retirement of established small volume manufacturers there is often little choice of from which manufacturer a distributor can obtain supplies.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'