dunsweepin

paintwork

Post by dunsweepin »

any paint charts or color codes available to view,cheers ,G2 CSR dave
D G SIMS
Rob Harknett

Re: paintwork

Post by Rob Harknett »

You may need to state the year. It will be difficult to replicate the late Red colour which looked like metallic finished. My original apart from wear 66 G2CSR had paint worn near the seat. ( Flapping jacket perhaps ) In this area the tank was Silver. It appears the metallic look was achieved by first spraying Silver, then a thin coating of Red, perhaps also a coat of clear gloss. Look here
http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Tan ... _codes.pdf
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Probably known as Candy Apple Red, as Rob states, Silver base coat then Red Lacquer, to achieve the correct Red you have to be careful how much lacquer you put on.
A good automotive paint supplier should be able to supply both.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I gave my 66 G2 CSR tank a quick lick of metallic Red paint that looked like it would be good enough. I really should have left showing its original well worn finish.
dunsweepin

Post by dunsweepin »

cheers folks,its a 1966 by the way,some signs of chrome on stripping but no original paint,havnt a clue how to find how it left the factory.
D G SIMS
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

dunsweepin wrote:cheers folks,its a 1966 by the way,some signs of chrome on stripping but no original paint,havnt a clue how to find how it left the factory.
1966 Sales cat? AJS & Matchless just badge & colour difference.
System full of pictures again, so look here. http://archives.jampot.dk/promotional/S ... ochure.pdf
Janet

Post by Janet »

dunsweepin wrote:cheers folks,its a 1966 by the way,some signs of chrome on stripping but no original paint,havnt a clue how to find how it left the factory.
An expert will be along shortly to tell you whether the '66 tank was painted the same as the '64 G2. If it was, I have one with the original paintwork. I can't help with the colour as it's scuffed and faded but I've had people photographing it and measuring the line of the paint against the chrome to get the curvy bits right. If you don't get it sorted soon, you could go to the Jampot rally in August and do the same.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I am sure 64 & 66 are the same Red & Chrome tanks. In the 64 sales cat there are 2 lightweight pictures. One has just red and chrome tank, the other has Red side panels instead of black. I reversed my 63 AJS. It had a big dent in the chrome part. So I stripped the paint, filled the dent. Then made what was chrome blue, what was blue left as chrome. No ne has ever said about the chrome and painted areas swapping places.
poptsova

Post by poptsova »

Hello and morning if you can find the colour that your bike started life with i can poss match with a modern paint i have most colour chips for many bikes and cars and might be able to match for you if it helps dave.
dunsweepin

Post by dunsweepin »

many thanks for all the advice,my memories of working at an AMC plus BMC, garage in 1961 seem to have faded more than i thought
D G SIMS