Electronic rectifier/regulator failures

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
clanger9

Electronic rectifier/regulator failures

Post by clanger9 »

My Wassell-style electronic regulator/rectifier packed up recently. I gather others have had similar failures.
Interestingly, the cause might be something else: I was surprised to find that my alternator stator was shorted to earth!

If that happens, uncontrolled current will flow in the rectifier - and presumably cause it to fail eventually.

I found some cracked and broken-down insulation in the alternator stator and have been able to successfully repair it. It's now showing several megohms of resistance to earth (as it should).

Upshot: if you've got an electronic regulator/rectifier, it's probably a good idea to periodically check that the alternator stator is free of any short to earth...
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
bitza

Re: Electronic rectifier/regulator failures

Post by bitza »

Get yourself a voltage regulators D V R 2 , solid state they are suitable for 6 or 12 volts and will fit in the old Lucas cut out box if you want to hide it.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

bitza wrote:Get yourself a voltage regulators D V R 2 , solid state they are suitable for 6 or 12 volts and will fit in the old Lucas cut out box if you want to hide it.
They are only for dynamo's and not the alternator that Clanger has.
bitza

Post by bitza »

Fine with that my error.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Just to close this one out: I successfully repaired the faulty stator insulation and replaced the damaged electronic regulator with a new Wassell unit. All working fine again. :)
IMG_2692.jpg
The stator insulation was cracked in various places.
IMG_2699.jpg
Stator with new insulation. The coils were also re-wrapped with Kraken tape to keep everything together.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
bitza

Post by bitza »

Great result not to expensive.