SORN / Tax Query

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Mick D

SORN / Tax Query

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I am in the process of putting my G3 back on the road and am a little confused by the DVLA website.

The bike has not been taxed nor kept on the road since the mid seventies, (checking vehicle status on the DVLA web site says tax due 1st January 1998, I assume this is a default date, can anyone confirm this?), and as such I believe it to be exempt SORN.

When I compile the online tax request I get this message:

Your vehicle will be taxed from 01 June 2018 This vehicle's previous tax/SORN expired on: 01 January 1998. This means the vehicle has not been taxed since this date.
You can apply for vehicle tax from today's date, with a tax start date of the first of this month, however, please note that it is an offence to be the registered keeper of a vehicle that is untaxed and does not have SORN in force. DVLA's enforcement section may be in contact with you regarding this gap in tax.

I have retained the original registration and am the registered keeper per the newly issued V5C

Is my understanding that the bike remains ineligible for SORN until it is first taxed correct?

Regards Mick - (trying to avoid a lengthy call to DVLA)
MalcW

Re: SORN / Tax Query

Post by MalcW »

Hi Mick

I had exactly the same message when I put my bike back on the road. I just went ahead and taxed it. As it's registered as an historic vehicle I got a message asking me to confirm that was the case, and that was it. No-one has knocked on my door yet.

Malc
g5wqian

Re: SORN / Tax Query

Post by g5wqian »

one of my bikes wasnt taxed since 1989 , it is a default message they put up .
so long as you have a v5c registration document all you need to do is to have insurance , have the taxation class showing as HISTORIC VEHICLE on the v5c [ you can change this by sending the v5c off with the "new taxation class " filled in in the box next to where it shows taxation class ] .
you may need to download form v112 for MOT exemption and fill that in selecting category R on it and send that off to the dvla as well .

i have a 1958 bike that i had not used since 1990 which i got back up to roadworthy and i just filled in the v112 form for mot exemption and changed the tax class on the v5c to historic vehicle and got insurance and then could tax it online .

i did same with a 1922 bike , sent off the v112 form but did have problems at the post office changing v5c to historic vehicle tax as the desk clerk didnt know what to do , so in end they taxed it but i had to pay £17 and they sent the v5c off to update it and i got it back from dvla a few weeks later updated to historic vehicle .

paying for tax was something i didnt actually need to do but seeing as it got the vehicle taxed at the time i paid it , but havent had to pay for it since that date a few years ago .

ian