Historic Vehicle - MOT Exemption

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
thornebt

Historic Vehicle - MOT Exemption

Post by thornebt »

I've got my vehicle tax reminder today. It says my 1957 Matchless is a 'Historic Vehicle' but also says 'This vehicle needs an appropriate MOT Test Certificate'.

I just wonder why DVLA say it needs an MOT when they have it quoted on the reminder as a historic vehicle. You would think that their systems would be able to exclude the MOT comment when it's in the historic vehicle class. Or have I missed something and I need to reapply for MOT exemption due to the new MOT changes?

Cheers. Bruce.
GOLDSTAR

Re: Historic Vehicle - MOT Exemption

Post by GOLDSTAR »

I think they are just using old forms, nothing wrong with this and I also think you will not have any problems re taxing it, I have received the same in the past but the MOT bit has been ignored. kind regards
Janet

Post by Janet »

Mine said the same but I thought it was because, being from 1964, it has only become 'MOT exempt' since the change on 20th last month. It wasn't a problem, though. I taxed it online and had to declare it hadn't been substantially changed from original*. Perhaps this check has been brought in under the new rules to cover those that weren't exempt previously.

*If there's a bike that looks as if it hasn't been changed, then mine is it.

Edit: Changed 'were exempt' to 'weren't exempt'
Last edited by Janet on Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

It was my understanding that "Historic Vehicle" gave you a zero cost VED - the MOT exemption was separate and not related to the vehicle class, rather to the year of manufacture.
Corners like a Lego man
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Janet wrote:Mine said the same but I thought it was because, being from 1964, it has only become 'MOT exempt' since the change on 20th last month. It wasn't a problem, though. I taxed it online and had to declare it hadn't been substantially changed from original*. Perhaps this check has been brought in under the new rules to cover those that were exempt previously.

*If there's a bike that looks as if it hasn't been changed, then mine is it.
Janet... When you taxed your bike on-line, did it have a current MOT or had the MOT expired?

The MOT on my '71 bike expires 22nd June this year. When I taxed it a the beginning of this month, nowhere on the web form was there any mention of it being substantially changed. When I subsequently checked it's 'status' on the DVLA website, it shows as currently taxed - renewal date 1st June 2019. it also shows that it has a current MOT - expiry date 22 June 2018.

I was wondering if it was the fact that it actually had a current MOT when I re-taxed that I never got the option to declare it "substantially unchanged".
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Janet

Post by Janet »

MOT had expired in March but it has been in bits since then. The tax reminder came in a few days ago so I thought I may as well tax it while I was doing two of Glyn's. :roll: They were both pre-1960 so would be already down for no MOT.

Maybe I'm just being picked on as a dodgy character.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Ok... I've just spoken to a very nice lady at the DVLA. I explained that my bike was taxed for a year but the MOT expires in a few days. She told me quite categorically that I need do nothing until it needs re-taxing. The bike can be used until then with no problem what-so-ever. When I re-tax it next year, I'll have to declare it as being substantially unchanged but until then, I need do nothing.

I hope she got it right!!

John
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

Pharisee wrote:Ok... I've just spoken to a very nice lady at the DVLA. I explained that my bike was taxed for a year but the MOT expires in a few days. She told me quite categorically that I need do nothing until it needs re-taxing. The bike can be used until then with no problem what-so-ever. When I re-tax it next year, I'll have to declare it as being substantially unchanged but until then, I need do nothing.

I hope she got it right!!

John
John,

Thanks for reporting what the lady at the DVLA told you. I'm in a similar position as the MoT on my 1960 G12 expired on 1st June and the tax at the end of May. Anticipating problems with these changes to the need for an MoT, I re-taxed it early. When I check the bike's status now the form shows the MoT Status as "No results returned" rather than "Exempt " as my '47 M18 does. This concerned me as I thought that the police may consider this to be "un-MoT'd" and I'd attract unwelcome attention from them.

Happily, with the reassurance from the DVLA, I'll now just keep a copy of this thread in my pocket so I can show anyone who asks :)

Mark
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

http://fbhvc.co.uk/members-pages/newsletter-archive/
Upon each quarterly issue of FBHVC magazine a link is published here under Secretary's scribbling's. Issue 3 2018 should be due soon. At the FBHVC home page you can read a few years of issues. Information within the magazine will inform you of DVLA updates. New M o T exempt was updated and reported on in FBHVC magazine, long before it was introduced. Some times news may leak out earlier than seen in the quarterly FBHVC magazine. Being involved in a recent new development with DVLA via FBHVC. I was able to inform our committee of new proof of dating that will be introduced, back in October last year. Which, because of printing deadlines, would not appear in FBHVC magazine until early 2018. If you saw the report, it stated, an FBHVC member club, and gentleman member of that club informed and assisted DVLA & FBHVC of the discovery of this factual proof for dating. This covered the prewar period approx. 1909 onwards, for all vehicles. For which later Glass dating check books do not cover. The prewar info covers more than the Glass books, as it also gives all vehicle specifications, which will help some owners in countries where more info is required to register a vehicle. e.g. weight, h.p. etc.
g5wqian

Post by g5wqian »

just download the dvla form V112 and fill it in and select category R in the box , ie vehicles over 40 years old , send it off to the dvla and that is your mot exemption sorted .