AJS 350 16M, running and on the road

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
LynP

AJS 350 16M, running and on the road

Post by LynP »

Hi, One more AJS on the road. After a extended search for parts over a number of years in order to build a bike to re-live the good times I had on a Matchless G3LS trail style bike I built and sold in the 1980's, I have had my first 3 short sake-down runs on the 1962 16M AJS I completed building last week. Apart from a few minor issues after fitting the newly rebuilt gearbox; (oil leak from the primary chaincase and dragging clutch, both now solved) it runs, ticks over and rides well at running in speeds.
I would like to thank all those that have shown an interest in my project and provided help with parts and advice during my build. Now I can only hope for some good weather to enable me to increase the miles to fully run it in. I will post some pictures in due course.
Best regards to all members and good safe riding.
56G80S

Re: AJS 350 16M, running and on the road

Post by 56G80S »

Good for you. Hope we all have a sunny summer. Maybe you'll get to the Jampot? I did most of my running in on one trip down to the Alternative last year.

I stuck some little pieces of insulating tape onto the body of the throttle and one piece on the twistgrip itself so I could see easily what amount of throttle I was using. It's surprising how little is required to cruise but it made sure that I didn't overdo it getting up to cruise speed.

Any pics?

Johnny B
LynP

Post by LynP »

Thank you Johnny for the tip on throttle usage, I think I might try it next time out. I'm not sure that I am as brave as you risking a long trip in case of problems that might arise, so I will increase my distances each time I ride, perhaps 500 miles would be a good running in distance due to re-bore new mains etc. what do others think? Also I am using an new old stock Champion N5 plug which starts and runs fine so far, is this OK with modern fuels or are there better alternatives?
Best regards, LynP
Johnobirches

Post by Johnobirches »

Congratulations on getting back on the road. I hope you have many happy miles of riding.

John
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

enjoy keeping your knees in the breeze your bike- congratulations.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Enjoy your bike. I would pay more attention to use of gearbox, than throttle use. Causing the bike to labour, uphill, coming out of a bend etc will do more harm than a little more throttle use when the engine is running light. Running in miles can also go, depends on how tight the bore is. This is more easily checked with a car. When the engine is switched off, a tight engine will stop immediately, run a car in until the engine runs on a bit when turned off. I've had a few new cars to run in, one took over 2,000 miles to show any signs it was loosening up. I ran that car in very slowly up to about 5,000 miles, gradually increasing speed. It paid off, best car engine I ever had.
clive

Post by clive »

LynP wrote: Also I am using an new old stock Champion N5 plug which starts and runs fine so far, is this OK with modern fuels or are there better alternatives?
Best regards, LynP
N5 the best plug for our single road engines in my experience especially if a magneto model. N5C are good too.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
LynP

Post by LynP »

Hi, I have at last got round to posting some pictures of the AJS I have just finished building, I did not use the red tank after all Roy!
ksj_LAPSED

Post by ksj_LAPSED »

well done Lyn been following progress I think that the fork sliders came from me when you first started . Keith
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

LynP wrote:Hi, I have at last got round to posting some pictures of the AJS I have just finished building, I did not use the red tank after all Roy!
And it all started with a little chat at Netley marsh jumble and the delivery was free.
;) ;)
Roy