Sidestand modification

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
GOLDSTAR

Re: Sidestand modification

Post by GOLDSTAR »

I made the side stand for my machine, wasn't difficult with a length of 1/2" bar, welded a foot hook to the side and it is really easy to use, it does flick up however once the weight is taken off it, kind regards
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I my opinion side stands only bend because mechanically insensitive Philistines leap aboard then jump up and down on the kick start. ;)
Or that due to wear in the 'crutch', frame lug or pivot pin it swings out too far forward allowing the bike to lean over at a greater angle that that for which the stand was designed, thus putting excessive weight upon it.
I've put a tang on mine and it's a doddle to swing it out when astride.
Prop stand 2016-04-20 002 (480x360).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Sprid, that's just what I was looking for and will download your photo as a starting point. You see I had thought to fit a tang (that's a good word) onto the stem. You've now shown me a better way to go. Mike's description is what I do but I find that the foot of the sidestand can tend to slip and then risk falling over (again). Tang on the foot of the sidestand will avoid that.

I have the top box and consequently now find it difficult to dismount before placing the Matchless on the sidestand. Please don't say remove top box.

I never start the engine with the sidestand down.

Johnny B
Big Pete

Post by Big Pete »

I extended my side stand 2 inches as the bike has 21 &19" wheels. If your handy(good!)with a welder it's a dawdle. Cut just below the pivot, extend to length you want and dress up to same profile, move spring tag. Much easier now to get stand down and still well out of the way.
The reason it's welded at the top is simply because you can get a bigger chamfer to weld.
Highlander, "There can be only one"…
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Spriddler's method looks effective and efficient, however I'd recommend using a bar that's the correct diameter to accept a gearchange rubber, or something similar, to 'blunt' what could be rather a dangerous projection in an accident.

Regards Mick
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Mick

That's another good suggestion particularly as slipping is sometimes a problem, more so if I'm wearing the leather soled Aviakit boots; I'll end up with a Rolls Royce (Brough / Sunbeam) quality of sidestand!

I'm OK with the length, it's sorting locating and placing while astride the Matchless that I want to improve but the argument for welding this at the pivot end makes sense to me.

Johnny B
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

56G80S wrote:Sprid, that's just what I was looking for and will download your photo as a starting point.
The tang was a bolt with the head cut off (about 6" x 6mm) and two nuts. I drilled the foot and just lock nutted the tang initially until I was happy with its shape/angle/position, then had a pal weld it in place (about 6 months later!).
.....rather a dangerous projection in an accident.
Fair point Mick. I could shorten it and still be able to easily get my heel on it.
Footpeg tang 001 (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Sun May 13, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Thanks for that as well, I'll need to get the length right with the new, and still great, centre stand.

Saving that photo too.

Johnny B
Chazzyb

Post by Chazzyb »

MikeM. wrote:Do what I have done since 2003, tie a length of cord to your side stand and have it long enough to be able to tuck into the area between the petrol tank and seat. Put a loop on the top end to help when pulling the side stand out when you want to get off your bike.
Yebbut, that length of cord gets soaked in oil. YUK! :lol:
Charles
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Both the cords on my Twingle and Model 31 are well preserved and waterproof due to the soaking from the engine oil.😛