Pic of original tool bag

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
magnusk750

Pic of original tool bag

Post by magnusk750 »

Hello, my first post in the forum. Swede, halfways living in Sweden, halfways in Estonia, with a 1955 G9 project in the pipeline.

Does anyone have an original postwar tool bag 017253 and can take a photo or two of it? I want to make a reproduction, I have the measures and photos of repdroductions, but I'd like to see what material it was actually made of back in the days.
39speedtwin

Re: Pic of original tool bag

Post by 39speedtwin »

Probably from Beige canvas.
magnusk750

Post by magnusk750 »

39speedtwin wrote:Probably from Beige canvas.
Most tool bags were yes, beige canvas, but probably not the ones from AMC. From what I've understood they were made of black leather imitation, though I'd really like to know better what a genuine one looked like. Yes, I'm a rivet counter, no use denying.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The 1955 tool bag pt. no. converts back to prewar 1930's pt. no. 17520. Then onwards on WD machines. Most bags then were as Dudley says, beige canvas.
Here's one example of a gen. WD tool roll available. Not sure which machine this complete roll is for.
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.05.07_22h08m10s_002_.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rob Harknett on Tue May 08, 2018 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I too am trying to source an 'original' style tool bag 017523 and some of the responses to this thread have confused me. I had assumed I should be looking for a pouch secured with a leather strap as per the figure in several of the manuals, I also thought this was produced in black 'Rexine' or something similar with the seams reinforced with fabric tape.
Should I actually be looking for a khaki canvas roll or a black 'Rexine' pouch for my 61 G3?

Regards Mick
magnusk750

Post by magnusk750 »

Actually some of the answers confuses me too. I have pictures of a replica of the tool poach made of black leather imitation 'Rexine', secured with a leather strap and eges reinforced with fabric, as decribed by Mick D. From what I've been told of the owner, Jos van D in Netherlands who ususally knows his stuff, this replica should be very close to the original. Aren't there any genuine postwar tool poaches out there that we could have a picture of?
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Magnus

This is the sort of thing I've been looking for:
Tool Pouch.png
Do you know of anyone supplying similar?

Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
magnusk750

Post by magnusk750 »

Well, for a living I sell spares for russian bikes and I have a guy who makes very nice seat covers, tonneau covers for sidecars etc. I'll see him the coming weekend. Will ask what he think about making also a bunch of these tool bags. I'm sure it's no problem for him, but I'd really like to confirm the material. I'm also a member of some AJS-Matchless mail group. It's tricky to use so I haven't been very active there, but I'll try to ask if someone have a photo of a period bag.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Mick D wrote:Hi Magnus

This is the sort of thing I've been looking for:
Tool Pouch.png
Do you know of anyone supplying similar?

Regards Mick
Here;
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.05.08_10h27m32s_001_.png
magnusk750

Post by magnusk750 »

Not the same, it's a wwII wd tool roll