The future

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Pharisee

Re: The future

Post by Pharisee »

I started with a couple of G9 twins when I was 17 back in 1963. They came apart and went back together again more than once (with a little help from my dad :) ). Then it was a Norton ES2 which I turned into a respectable 'cafe racer'. After that, a succession of relatively modern (for the day) machinery from Japan, Italy and Meriden. Now I've come full circle and have (amongst others) two AMC bikes again. The AJS M18 I bought a couple of years ago and it took me quite a while to learn it's starting technique. It's very different from the Triumph twins that I also own. My basket case G3 is almost finished and I hope to have that running in the next couple of weeks. I don't doubt that she will have a starting procedure all of her own and I hope I can learn it quickly because I can't wait much longer to take her out for a spin!
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Triumph-Legend wrote:Recent bikes include a BMW F800GS / Ducati 750 / Suzuki GS850 (just finishing the rebuild) / G80 & G3LS/C Spring back end added years ago.
Guess which bikes are ridden. G80 & G3.

BMW Gathering dust all last year. Amazing bike for long distance and camping trips. But not really needed for everyday or commuter fun riding.
Ducati - Sold. Cracking bike but I wanted to ride it as it should be ridden and this is not really a good idea for the road nor keeping my licence.
Suzuki GS850 - Verdict is still out on this bike, 79 machine and in the final stages of a rebuild. But it's just not rocking my boat like and old Brit bike. It is the same as most other large modern machines, too many add on bits. Why on earth do I need a gear indicator. Also the cost of parts and restoration on these early Japanese bikes is crazy and so many parts are nigh on impossible to find. I won't be doing another, that's for sure.

So it's mainly been the G80 for every day and club riding. G3 if I want to trot on a bit or take in the odd byway.

Due to a bit of ill health these machine saw no use for several months over the winter. As expected they fired up straight away. just check the oil level, drain the sump if needed, a tickle on the carbs and away they go. usually first kick, but after a long lay up and with the old fuel in the tank I am prepared to allow up to four easy kicks. Any more and the would get a damn good telling of. That sort of behaviour is not acceptable.

I think that like many on this sight, we have all tried the whole range of machines from full on MX machines to head down arse in the air rocket ships. But for an enjoyable and strangely contented relationship with a machine, for me nothing beats a solid dependable British single.
Comments about todays fuel going stale does not effect many of our more elderly bikes. In fact quite the opposite, new fresh fuel does effect our bikes.
If you have a pre early 40's bike, you may find it goes faster than old road tests claim. My pre war bikes certainly do. Also they start OK on so called stale fuel , even if laid up for over a year. Todays stale 97 Octane fuel, probably better than fresh, dirty to engines, pre war fuel, which was only about 76 Octane. Even in the late 50's, I was still having to pull an engine apart to de coke it after a couple of 1,000 miles . In recent years I have never found carbon deposits, like seen way back in time, after any more miles use.
rex.webb

Post by rex.webb »

your lucky rob
I HAVE TROUBLE WITH MODERN FUEL ( petrol)
DIESEL HAS NO EFECT IF LEFT FOR A YEAR OR MORE .
RIDE WITH CARE AND LIVE LONG
TO ENJOY YOUR MOTORCYCLING AND SCOOTERING
THIS MUST BE THE YEAR I RIDE A MOTORCYCLE AGAIN
?????????????????????????????????????????????????
r w webb
Janet

Post by Janet »

Rex, it isn't the actual petrol that causes modern day problems but the additives in the petrol. Some will attack rubber hoses and seals while others can damage aluminium and, I think, brass components. Then there are those which will dry out if a bike or car is left unused for a long time, such as over winter, leaving a varnish-like deposit clogging up jets. That can happen no matter how old the bike is. The best thing to do is keep riding them as often as possible.
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

And the reduction in carbon build up is due to modern oil technology but they refer to it as low ash for some reason
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

returning to the question on the small Honda, I recall all those I rode, owned, did jump a tad when a gear was engaged from start, what oil have you got in it, these, and for that matter all jap machines, are sensitive to the correct visco oils? kind regards
Janet

Post by Janet »

leswaller wrote:
Janet wrote:I came into bikes on Japanese Hondas. I suppose that accounts for my difficulties with old Brit bikes.
Janet, how are you on Honda c50s?
I am trying to resurrect a very early 6v c50 which has been sleeping since 1972, and whilst I have the engine going well I am not used to the semi automatic gearbox/transmission. All the gears select ok but the clutch engages with a jump when moving off and this tends to stall the engine. The clutch adjustment is correct, do you have any suggestions please?
I've never had one but one of my old workmates had one of the little Honda step-thru's and I seem to recall at times he needed to give it a tap somewhere in relation to the automatic clutch to make it work. This doesn't help you, of course but at least you know you're not the only one who has problems with the clutch.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Two years after permanently losing the use of my right arm I tried riding again on a Cub and the same jump occurred with the auto clutch.

(Apologies to those who know the saga)............

Preparing to leave the pub car park a couple of hours after this section Easter Bun run, (my second time out), I ended up in the landlord's daffs, possibly due to engaging first gear at half throttle.
Sprid group Honda Apl 6th 2012 (640x427).jpg
A couple weeks later I rode it 70 miles with camping gear to the IJR at Maidstone and toppled over at the check-in marquee, bending the rod in my (fortunately already useless) arm and breaking the plates in my elbow and wrist. Ambulance etc. to the local A&E who put on a cast and sent me to the Brighton main trauma hosp......
IJR Maidstone May 25th 2012 (480x360).jpg
At Brighton the same surgeon who'd reassembled me two years previously greeted me with: "What you again?" Then after tut-tutting a bit said: "What you need isn't available on the NHS; a ruddy ball and chain to keep you off motorbikes". How we laughed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

SPRIDDLER wrote:Two years after permanently losing the use of my right arm I tried riding again on a Cub and the same jump occurred with the auto clutch.

(Apologies to those who know the saga)............

Preparing to leave the pub car park a couple of hours after this section Easter Bun run, (my second time out), I ended up in the landlord's daffs, possibly due to engaging first gear at half throttle.
Sprid group Honda Apl 6th 2012 (640x427).jpg
A couple weeks later I rode it 70 miles with camping gear to the IJR at Maidstone and toppled over at the check-in marquee, bending the rod in my (fortunately already useless) arm and breaking the plates in my elbow and wrist. Ambulance etc. to the local A&E who put on a cast and sent me to the Brighton main trauma hosp......
IJR Maidstone May 25th 2012 (480x360).jpg
At Brighton the same surgeon who'd reassembled me two years previously greeted me with: "What you again?" Then after tut-tutting a bit said: "What you need isn't available on the NHS; a ruddy ball and chain to keep you off motorbikes". How we laughed.

Yes and if he'd have seen you out on the Mutchless it'd be him that needed NHS attention as I suspect he'd have a bloody heartattack!!!! :rofl: :rofl:
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

Thanks Sprid, it is good to know that it is not just me. If it happens to a seasoned rider like you then it is certainly going to happen to me.
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise