worth checking new chaincase seal

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
oldandsmelly

worth checking new chaincase seal

Post by oldandsmelly »

Hi

I recently fitted one of the new 'T' shaped chaincase seals in order to avoid leaving a trail everywhere I went. I was disappointed to find it even worse than the original seal. However, having little self belief, I thought maybe I'd fitted it wrongly and so ordered a second one from the club spares. I've just removed the chaincase to find the first seal I bought is around one inch too short leaving a mighty gap for the oil to be thrown out.

The second seal looks about the right length and I hope things will be better this time around.

The lesson learnt is to check the seal goes all the way round before bolting things up. I'm hoping someone else might also learn to quality control things better.
Duncan

Re: worth checking new chaincase seal

Post by Duncan »

Hi Bruce

These are usually oversize and you trim to fit, did the first one come direct from the club or via a third party?

Egg sucking time: Remember to fit the joint at the top.
oldandsmelly

Post by oldandsmelly »

I didn't trim the seal. I assumed it was the right size. If I'd checked it first I'd have noticed the shortfall but I optimistically thought it would fit straight on.

The gap was at the top so the thrown oil was running down the back of the chaincase making it hard to see where it was coming from.

The seal was over an inch too short and yes, I bought the seal from the club scheme.

I don't like moaning but I've bought a lot of Matchless spares over the last couple of years from a number of suppliers many of which have required 'fettling' to make fit and it does get a bit wearing. This is the first time something has been completely the wrong size.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Are you saying that when you fitted the new seal there was a gap of over an inch at the top? If so why did you not just pull the ends together and stretch it a bit or just send it back before filling with oil.
Roy
oldandsmelly

Post by oldandsmelly »

The gap is too big to stretch across, it's clearly been cut way too short.

As I mentioned earlier, I didn't notice the problem before I assembled everything.

All I'm asking is that the seals are checked better for minimum length in the future; I'm not looking for an argument.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

oldandsmelly wrote:I didn't notice the problem before I assembled everything.
Should've gone to Spec.............?
;)

(Sorry Bruce, couldn't resist whilst I just happened to be on the sarky step :rofl: )
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

oldandsmelly wrote:The gap is too big to stretch across, it's clearly been cut way too short.

As I mentioned earlier, I didn't notice the problem before I assembled everything.

All I'm asking is that the seals are checked better for minimum length in the future; I'm not looking for an argument.
I am sure if you spoke to Spares they would have sent a replacement FOC and checked the stock. But if you don't tell them they will never know.
Roy
oldandsmelly

Post by oldandsmelly »

Fair comment about specsavers....

I should have noticed the missing section before I fitted the metal band but I was too keen to put it all back together.

I'd had a long session on my G80 . I'd rebuilt the gearbox and clutch and was perhaps a little overexcited to get everything back together to see if I had 4 gears instead of the 3 I had before. That bit seems to have worked with a nice soft clutch and all gears there now.

Maybe the moral is to not try and finish a long job in one sitting but maybe have a beer and a rest before starting again.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Taking that break can be a good thing. I have a nicely re-built B52 Burman bushes, bearings all new and works great. Only thiing is a botched blanking plug because I simply lost my temper at not having one that was correct.

Doesn't leak though but when the (new) bush behind it needs replacing the casing is damaged.

Johnny B