Spray painting

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
mikeydpippin

Spray painting

Post by mikeydpippin »

As the sun is shining I thought I would etch prime and high build bike parts with 2 pack.
Away this weekend so will leave in house to dry, if it's cold and raining next week, is there a max length time before I sand and top coat?.
Mike
39speedtwin

Re: Spray painting

Post by 39speedtwin »

No, leaving in dry atmosphere is ok. But you may get some dust from the air!
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

mikeydpippin wrote:As the sun is shining I thought I would etch prime and high build bike parts with 2 pack.
Away this weekend so will leave in house to dry, if it's cold and raining next week, is there a max length time before I sand and top coat?.
Be aware of how dangerous 2 pack is, despite the fact that it is sold to the general public in spray cans without any warnings. Should use air fed breathing apparatus and other protection, you only have one pair of lungs!!
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
bitza

Post by bitza »

Ok you spray 2 pack paint at your peril if have not the correct air fed masks and filters e t c be very careful
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

I spray outside or in a extractor fan cabinet, using a carbon filter mask, done it for the last 20 years and am still alive. the amount of cyanate is quite low as it is only in the hardener which is about 10 to 15% of the final mix. However I only mix about 4 ounces at a time, this being enough to coat a tank about 3 times, put the paint in the freezer between coats, this retards hardening.
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Thanks for the tips, recently finished a spraying course at college, teacher was walking in spray booth with no mask or protection on.🙀🙀🙀🙀
I,m using a cartridge mask though, anyway I,ve etch primed all parts, from a Upol can,but for some reason the primer on the front mudguard kept cracking in places, despite sanding back, de greasing, tack cloth.
So gave up,
Will get back to metal and start again.
Next sunny day is 🏖🏖🏖🏖🏖
Mike
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

39speedtwin wrote:I spray outside or in a extractor fan cabinet, using a carbon filter mask, done it for the last 20 years and am still alive.
Yebbut, it can stunt your growth, Diddley.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
39speedtwin wrote:I spray outside or in a extractor fan cabinet, using a carbon filter mask, done it for the last 20 years and am still alive.
Bit personal Nev, you shouldn't be looking at Dudley's growth!!!!!! I dunno, what you fella's get up to in the toilets! :o :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

ajscomboman wrote:
SPRIDDLER wrote:
Bit personal Nev, you shouldn't be looking at Dudley's growth!!!!!! I dunno, what you fella's get up to in the toilets! :o :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
It's ever since I changed to bi-focals Rob. When I look down I see a big one and a little one. I know the big one isn't mine but when I try to put it away I get walloped by the bloke standing next to me. :roll:
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Please don't I am shearing a room this weekend and won't be able to sleep :lol:
Roy