B52 GEARBOX SPROCKET SPACERS.

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
laxy

B52 GEARBOX SPROCKET SPACERS.

Post by laxy »

When fitting a new rear chain i noticed the sprocket on the B52 gearbox was loose. on investigation i found the securing nut only finger tight.even though the correct tab washer had been fitted. i removed the sprocket to look at the splines and threads on the shaft which were all good and found there was one spacing washer 12-11-3 fitted between the sprocket and tab washer.my exploded diagram and parts list confirm that there are two of these washers but not there location. i appear to be a washer short and various manuals dont seem to mention them. ive also found that when i tried to put things back as i found them . on tightening the sprocket retaining nut with chain on the rear wheel seems not to be spinning as freely as i would expect. its as though the gearbox sprocket is bindnig when fully tightened . with no chain attached te rear wheel spins freely with no tight spots. any input on the position of these two one sixteenth inch spacers would be most welcome.
Rob Harknett

Re: B52 GEARBOX SPROCKET SPACERS.

Post by Rob Harknett »

The wheel will feel like it is binding, as it turns the gearbox innards with the chain on.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

I think those washers are only to enable you to bend up the new tab washer easily. With a washer fitted it's easy to get a screwdriver blade under the tab to lift it. It won't make any difference to free spinning of the drive.
Cheers Dave.
laxy

Post by laxy »

Thanks dave and rob. I did think along the lines that you mentioned dave but seems strange to fit two washers when one would do the job.