And he did say as near to correct as possible
Tony
CharlesDP

Re: Securing electrical wiring

Post by CharlesDP »

Expat

Post by Expat »

Have got one of this type on my G3. Looks good imho.
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

robcurrie wrote: hooter button is usually on left so you can grab the brake and hoot!
A scary moment often does that to some old people.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

SPRIDDLER wrote:A scary moment often does that to some old people.
With the brakes on thesse old nails, you usually have to rely on other motorists getting out of your way, the brakes only purpose is to give them that extra 2 seconds.

Rob C
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Chrome clips available here:

https://www.triumph-spares.co.uk/cable- ... me-97-4112

not cheap though :(

Regards Mick
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

I have recently acquired a 1949 Velocette MAC it was owned by the previous owner, now deceased, since under a year from new, and he reckoned by 2012 he had travelled 150.000 miles on it and I believe he certainly didn't spend any money unless absolutely necessary, my point is most machines of this era were of course the bread and butter transport and were very much make do and mend, the wiring on the Velo is of all diameters just what was available, the retaining medium is fabric tape followed by plastic and in one or two places 'gaffer tape' or even wound wire. Had the old chap been prepared to purchase the new type cable ties then I guess that they would have been used, many owners of the day were I am quite sure not really bothered with the originality but more that it would get them to work in the morning. We can now indulge ourselves in seeking originality but I sometimes really do wonder what exactly it was, and do we sometimes go 'over the top' in seeking it? Just a view and no offense intended. kind regards
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

String was used a lot on old bikes years ago.
The metal C clips once came in many sizes. They were used on Motor Cycles to secure Gas tube and later electric cable. I am sure a source was found for various types and sizes by the prewar group.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

We used to dream of using string. We had to use birch twigs, chewed for a month to make it more supple..... :rofl:
Dave.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

dave16mct wrote:We used to dream of using string. We had to use birch twigs, chewed for a month to make it more supple..... :rofl:
Dave.
Dave, I think you came along about a decade after the time, if someone looked at your bike, they would say " Looks like you've been to the Stringandtie Company " Which I think was during the 40's/50's when even nuts & bolts were in short supply. Real spares almost unobtainable. I have a load of old AMC letters etc. from an old dealership. Mainly orders and invoices for parts. Hardly any order was completed. The item marked out of stock. In those days a bit of string was a must for the tool box. To tie up, battery's, mudguard stays , horns etc. etc. Even the string was second hand. Perhaps saved off a parcel. Best string was white cord the Butchers tied up joints of meat with.