Indian Made Rear Sprocket Drum

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
g80csp11

Re: Indian Made Rear Sprocket Drum

Post by g80csp11 »

have to say that the late sprocket 025225 from Wassell is spot on , great quality
fitted to my G11 for westwood ho
it has through bolts , and no misalignment issues

if yours does not fit send it back , Wassell parts still have to be fit for purpose
if you got off ebay , pay on paypal and get a refund if the supplier wont replace
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

I had a sprocket made by Marco Moritz in Germany for my AJS M1 (1929) cost was £110 incl postage, so he may be worth a try if all else fails. He does need a pattern.
ELPS

Post by ELPS »

Afraid the sprocket was not supplied by Wassell and was purchased on Ebay too many months back to get a refund. Put it down to experience and be very wary of buying Indian made parts in future. Yes, will have to try Andrew engineering. I know they are closing shop this year and only work Monday to Thursday now. Does Marco Moritz have a business name? Maybe a handy contact for future reference.
Or maybe AMOC Spares could think about getting a batch made?
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

my old friend would turn the teeth off the drum and replace with a new sprocket shrinking it on in the first place then a couple of running welds to hold secure, kind regards
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Marco Moritz Email is moritzmarco@web.de
I was last in contact in May 2016, he was also making fly wheels etc.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

ELPS wrote:Afraid the sprocket was not supplied by Wassell and was purchased on Ebay
Wassells 'Trade' price of the brake drum/sprocket in my post is £25+ VAT so it almost certainly won't be of European manufacture.
Wassells only supply the 'Trade', they don't retail their products. Dozens (hundreds perhaps) of eBay sellers and autojumblers have Trade accounts with Wassells.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ELPS

Post by ELPS »

Yes I know that Wassell are wholesalers, but there was no packaging to say who is was originally supplied by. I wouldn't have thought Wassell would supply such junk as this or maybe they do! It was painted silver and when sanded back showed rust underneath. A friend of mine machined the rear mounting face today which trued up the drum rotation. Not perfect but should work ok.Just need to attack the bolt spacing problem and then it may just be usable.
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

John Hemming made an engine sprocket and welded it to the original centre for my G3C (no cush drive, HARD to find) and did an excellent job.

John Hemming Engineering Tel: 01547 530759
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

John Hemming does an excellent job - eventually :-/ If you're lucky enough to catch him at the right time you can get a quickish turnaround. The engine sprocket for my 37 Sunbeam was returned in 2 or 3 weeks. When I sent the rear drum/sprocket to be done the following year, the old 'Beam was off the road for the full season :( It was a first class job when it did turn up though.
As far as I recall, a company called Velocette Engineering was the UK manufacturer of rear drum/sprockets and use the origional factory specifications. They certainly had a batch of raw castings for the 52 BSA A10 plunger I was looking for. They couldnt supply me directly but told me who they did supply. I eventually tracked one down - the cost of a UK made job was just over 100 quid with the postage.
You might be lucky and find a reasonably accurately made Indian job for half that, but Ive found that you do tend to get what you pay for ;)
Good luck with the hunt!
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Greybeard wrote:John Hemming does an excellent job - eventually
My sprocket was delivered in about a week after he received it Steve, depends how busy he is I suppose.

He does not require a pattern to work from either.