Bike Security

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
MalcW

Bike Security

Post by MalcW »

Now my bike is effectively on the road (once it stops raining) I suppose I'd better think about some security for it. A decent chain and lock are the obvious thing, but does anyone go any further? I was thinking about motion alarms, immobilisers, smart water, that sort of thing. It's a magneto model with a kill button on the end of the mag, so unless I change the end cap for one with a button on the bar, a hidden switch isn't really an option at the moment.

Thanks,

Malc
SPRIDDLER

Re: Bike Security

Post by SPRIDDLER »

That's an FAQ on here, Malc.
Chained (to something solid preferably) is about all you can do to prevent it being removed.
Obviously record frame, engine and g/box numbers. Many stolen bikes are stripped to be sold for spares.
You can fit immobilisers, alarms, hidden switches, leave it on full advance etc. etc. but joyriders are unlikely to try out an old clunker.
According to ins. co's. most bikes are stolen by a couple of guys wearing HiVis jackets who turn up in a white van, sign-written with some removable name like 'ACME Motorcycle recovery'. They lift the bike straight into the van and are gone in 45 seconds. (Any similarity between Roy and Dudley is purely coincidental).
Personally I think that whilst at old bike events a bike is most vulnerable when there are dozens of old bikes, hoards of greybeards coming and going, fettling, fiddling, trying to start them, loading them onto trailers, into vans....... A Vincent Black Shadow was stolen from beside the sleeping owner's tent at the West Kent Run a few years ago.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

A determined thief will steal your bike no matter what you do, however by not following predictable patterns you can reduce the opportunities.

A chain needs, in an ideal world, to link your bike to a fixed object, (lamp post, road sign etc.).

The days of opportunists driving a bike away are probably over - it's far easier to pull up alongside in a Transit, (other vans are available), and chuck it in the back.

A GPS tracker will follow where the bike went but you may need to be quick to find it intact.

For storage at home cement a ground anchor somewhere and secure with chains the more the better - if your budget will run to a PC based CCTV go for it.

Regards Mick
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Hi Spriddler
SPRIDDLER wrote:That's an FAQ on here, Malc.
Is there? I did a search for Security in FAQs and didn't find anything. I also went through all of the Tech articles - which took a while as kept getting distracted by other interesting stuff. Do you have a link to it?

Thinking about it, the last time I had an AJS, a Model 18, it was worth about £1 10s 6d as everyone was more interested by more modern (aka Japanese), or more sporty bikes, so security wasn't much of an issue.

Cheers,

Malcolm
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

I use one of these for parking outside the chippy. No good for long term but handy for short term parking

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Mo ... 0506.m3226
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

MalcW wrote:Hi Spriddler
SPRIDDLER wrote:That's an FAQ on here, Malc.
Is there? I did a search for Security in FAQs and didn't find anything. I also went through all of the Tech articles - which took a while as kept getting distracted by other interesting stuff. Do you have a link to it?
No prob Malcolm; I wasn't being impatient! I meant that it does crop up quite often on the Forum and is a valid concern for all of us.
The 'Search' facility is a bit hit 'n miss / specific and often (very often) a thread's title won't be sufficiently explicit with regard to the actual enquiry - e.g. someone will/has posted a question entitled 'Kill switch' or 'Steering Lock' or 'Insurance cover' or 'Good bike chain?' or 'Parking' or 'Ignition cut out' which is actually a request for ways of keeping the bike secure and won't be picked up in a search. Either that or a vaguely related thread will wander into security matters.
I think the current comments sum up the general approach.
I had a pal with a 30's soft top MG who considered putting a block of wood pierced with 6" nails or needles under the thinly padded driver's seat when he parked it but he abandoned the idea when realising the consequences of forgetting about it when HE got in :o
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Harry44 wrote:I use one of these for parking outside the chippy. No good for long term but handy for short term parking

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Mo ... 0506.m3226
I like that Harry. I assume it's fitted over the clutch lever as it wouldn't stop my Matchless much if fitted to the front brake lever!!
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

I have double chains bolted to a wall + both bikes chained together with two covers over each which the chains go through + 2 HD CCTV cameras with night vision (one on the bikes and the other on the outside of my house) which send me emails when there is any movement within the ares I have selected and which I can access on my tablet from anywhere in the world as long as I have internet access plus a network video recorder which records everything day and night regardless of any action. This year I will be installing a locking fold down post which will make it even harder to wheel the bikes away should anyone be foolish enough to attempt any thievery
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

I've got a large steel anchor bolted to the garage floor. It's 20mm diameter hardened steel hoop welded to a 1/2" thick steel plate. I have a long (and expensive) chain that loops though it and through the frame of my bikes. The chain is made from 16mm boron steel which the manufacturers claim will defeat any bolt cutters (but not an angle grinder, unfortunately)
DSC_1884.jpg
DSC_1883.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

My garage is in such a mess, anyone going in may have something fall on them.