Popsie is alive!

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Tommy RE

Popsie is alive!

Post by Tommy RE »

Just before I went on holiday to Sicily with Er indoors a week ago last Saturday, I'd managed to get oil into the engine, primed the oil pump and put a gallon of fuel in the petrol tank when I was summoned from the shed to get us up to Manchester airport (Humph! :roll:) However, the weather was better than here though nothing is cheap except coffee and beer.
Arrived home yesterday evening and determined to get down 't' shed and continue fettling (sod the unpacking :twisted:). Having set the magneto up as per the book, flashed the dynamo to set the polarity, I turned on the fuel tap tickled up the carby and after three kicks I was rewarded with the wonderful sound of my 350 pride and joy roaring into to life (thank you Ken De Groome :D).
I checked for good oil flow which was spot on, ran her up to operating temperature at a fairly fast tick over shut her down, let her cool down and repeated the process several times more. I then put the replica despatch rider bags that I had sourced (the original 1942 stamped ones perished in the fire) on the pannier frames and she is almost good to go.
During the subsequent runs, I adjusted the mixture and set the tick over. Repeated starts were first kick every time. All I have to do is await a call from Glenn David who is painting my newly rebuilt front wheel and I can give her her first taste of the road since the fire. It has been a long 18 months of tribulations both mental and physical and there were times when I never thought I'd get to the finishing line.
I'd like to thank all of you who have given me their support both moral and practical in getting my beloved Popsie back on the road. You have all helped me get back from the edge of despair and that is something I'll never forget. This, after all, is what our great club is all about. I hope to see you at the Jampot.

Regards,

Tommy RE
alanjennings

Re: Popsie is alive!

Post by alanjennings »

Good news!! Look forward to seeing you both!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Great news my boy, glad it's come to a happy ending. :beer: :beer:
Tommy RE

Post by Tommy RE »

Thanks Alan & Rob for your kind comments. Ive just realised that today is my late fathers birthday so the engine start is auspicious seeing as the Matchless G3 WO was his weapon of choice :beer:
shifter

Post by shifter »

That's champion nice to hear good news well done
shifter
?
Expat

Post by Expat »

Great news Neil. I am sitting in the sunshine and will raise a glass to you and Popsie :beer: :beer:
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Pleased to hear the bike will be ready to enjoy again real soon Neil.
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Good news Neil! :beer:
REW

Post by REW »

Expat wrote:Great news Neil. I am sitting in the sunshine and will raise a glass to you and Popsie :beer: :beer:
Indeed, well done Neil. I am sitting in the rain and will raise a glass to you and Popsie :beer: tonight!
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
Janet

Post by Janet »

I suppose this means that, now you've got your girlfriend back, your poor little Enfield will be cast aside like an old unwanted worn-out sea boot. :(

I look forward to seeing Popsie in all her glory again.