Does the oil pump need priming?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Tommy RE

Does the oil pump need priming?

Post by Tommy RE »

I have just given Popsie her first drink of oil in eighteen months and she is nearing the stage where she is ready to fire up (fingers crossed). After having undergone a complete overhaul and rebuild does the oil pump need priming by pouring a little oil down the pushrod tubes to be picked up by the scavenge side of the oil pump from the sump?

Regards,

Tommy RE
clive

Re: Does the oil pump need priming?

Post by clive »

yes put a fair bit in, it will help with priming the return. I would kick it over a few times (not tens) just to get the oil moving and don't have a heart attack caused by the time it takes to get a return flow. I once timed mine after a simple rebuild and it took about 8 minutes to prime everything and get a return flow. I now splash oil around the rockerbox and down the pushrod tubes and it all returns a bit quicker. Don't forget that you are likely having to fill the crankcase to the return level followed by the oil filter tube before there is a visible return.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Tommy RE

Re: Does the oil pump need priming?

Post by Tommy RE »

clive wrote:yes put a fair bit in, it will help with priming the return. I would kick it over a few times (not tens) just to get the oil moving and don't have a heart attack caused by the time it takes to get a return flow. I once timed mine after a simple rebuild and it took about 8 minutes to prime everything and get a return flow. I now splash oil around the rockerbox and down the pushrod tubes and it all returns a bit quicker. Don't forget that you are likely having to fill the crankcase to the return level followed by the oil filter tube before there is a visible return.
Thanks Clive,

Thats the job first thing for tomorrow then. by the Bye, the speedo works perfectly now mounted :beer:

Neil