Rear carrier

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
matchbart

Rear carrier

Post by matchbart »

Does anyone know of a supplier of a rear carrier that would fit my 1954 g3ls, it is fitted with a single saddle, I would like a carrier to fit on the rear mudguard, probably mounting by the four existing holes that the pillion pad bolted on to, any suggestions welcome, i would be happy with a used one...
Rob Harknett

Re: Rear carrier

Post by Rob Harknett »

Club spares, but it seems for 54 type stock is limited. It fits on four bolts at the end of the grab handles. Two each side. Not aware of a purpose built carrier that would limit the bike to be fitted with a single saddle. Even going back to the 1900's carriers were only made to fit the rear end. So would still be able to have a pillion seat.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

If no stock at club spare see Pt. No. 023233 Page 2 of Andrew Engineering price list. They may have stock (they make for other suppliers) but be quick as they are closing down (retirement).

http://www.andrew-engineering.co.uk/And ... celist.pdf

Here's mine from Andrew Eng...it's fitted onto the existing four mudguard bolts.
Rear carrier1 (800x600).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
matchbart

Post by matchbart »

Ok , thanks for your suggestions, looks like it will have to be custom made..
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

matchbart wrote:Ok , thanks for your suggestions, looks like it will have to be custom made..
Do you think there were perhaps other reasons why carriers are fitted at the rear end of the bike. With luggage on a carrier fitted where the pillion seat is normally fitted. I for one would need a custom leg. I think I would have problems swinging my leg over the carrier with luggage on it. Resulting with me and the bike on the deck. You should be OK if you're well over 6 foot. A small back pack on a carrier fitted on the top of the guard would come about waist height on me. I'd never get my leg over it.
Tommy RE

Post by Tommy RE »

Rob Harknett wrote:
matchbart wrote:Ok , thanks for your suggestions, looks like it will have to be custom made..
Do you think there were perhaps other reasons why carriers are fitted at the rear end of the bike. With luggage on a carrier fitted where the pillion seat is normally fitted. I for one would need a custom leg. I think I would have problems swinging my leg over the carrier with luggage on it. Resulting with me and the bike on the deck. You should be OK if you're well over 6 foot. A small back pack on a carrier fitted on the top of the guard would come about waist height on me. I'd never get my leg over it.
Looks like its one of those collapsible ladders for you then Rob :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
rudelan_LAPSED

Post by rudelan_LAPSED »

Life is beautiful and you have to enjoy it
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I am sure I have seen racks for the earlier bikes with saddles that mount further forward but can't remember where, there is a guy who gets to Kempton auto jumble who make lots of steel products who may be able to help with a custom one (possibly may even make one already) or these guys may be able to help:
http://www.classicbikeracks.co.uk/untitled they have an out of stock mudguard mounted one, or
http://www.progressiveclassicproducts.c ... Rigid.html
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

The seller at Kempton is Parkwood as listed by Rudelan. His details are on Andy Tiernan website as a visitor.