Thrust Pin Adjusting Washer

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
GSM

Thrust Pin Adjusting Washer

Post by GSM »

Can anyone tell me the thickness of the thrust pin adjusting washer (000174)? Was there more than one thickness?
SPRIDDLER

Re: Thrust Pin Adjusting Washer

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Not according to the 1954 Parts List which shows only one, the 000174. I have always just rootled through my tins in the shed to find one (or two) ordinary steel washers of suitable thickness. Sometimes have to file a flat on one edge to get them to fit.
See pages 53 and 54...

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... ingles.pdf

Just looked at a 1960 Parts List which shows on page 58 the 000174 and an 017670 with the same description. Maybe they are of different thicknesses.
In the 'Quantity' colmn an 'R' is shown which I assume means 'As required'.

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... s_List.pdf
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I would not worry too much about the thickness. Too thick and the brakes may bind, too thin and you need to take up a lot of cable/rod adjustment. I will often use a couple of thin washers when brake linings are getting a bit worn. Too thick will mean less adjustment which will make the brake " hard " ( very little travel of pedal /lever ) I tend to have my brakes a bit on the soft side, you are less likely to lock them and skid. 000174 is old part number STD 174 which has 5/16" hole size. ( no thickness stated, probably because of what I mentioned above, use a thickness best suited for wear. ) 39-12-B74 is old part number for 017670 Neville has found in a 1960 parts list. So both washers are from the prewar era. No dimensions at all given for 39-12-B74 - 017670. Old part numbers like 39-12-B74 do give more info about the part. Remember
39 = last 2 digits of the year the part was introduced, 12 = the smallest model it was fitted on B74= B for where the part was fitted = Brake. You may see E = engine. F = frame, FF = front forks, FR = footrest, T= tank, H = hub, EQ = pannier bag, TK = tool kit, M = mudguard etc etc. So if you find any old stock parts with these numbers, you can soon discover when the part was introduced, smallest model it fitted and where on the bike.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Just looked at a 1960 Parts List which shows the 000174 and an 017670 with the same description. Maybe they are of different thicknesses.
In the 'Quantity' colmn an 'R' is shown which I assume means 'As required'
As stated in my last post 017670 = old part number 39-12-B74. In the 1939 parts list, some models have STD 174 / 000174 others 017670 / 39-12-E74 all have Q in the quantity column, the parts list states Q = 2. As you go through the parts list these letter codes are explained, starting at A So if you go through the 1960 parts list you may see a reference for R as Neville sees in the qty column for the thrust pin.
Ah I looked, 1960 parts list only seems to have R which means qty as required. But R. in the 39 parts list for those same pt. no's means 2 required.
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.03.12_16h35m09s_004_.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GSM

Post by GSM »

Thanks everyone. So a 7/8" washer with a 5/16" hole and around 3/64" to 1/16" thick should do?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

GSM wrote:Thanks everyone. So a 7/8" washer with a 5/16" hole and around 3/64" to 1/16" thick should do?
Any steel washers with an o.d. and i.d. that fit will do. You may have to file a flat on one edge to get them to fit.
Choose thickness or number of washers to suit, but as Rob said you need to have some free play at the handlebar lever before braking starts in order to be able to 'curl' your fingers around the lever a bit for maximum force and comfort. Obviously this can be achieved at the cable adjuster on the torque arm.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

I have always used bog standard 5/16” washers bought at jumbles. Use of a little bit of common sense when making the adjustments is all that is needed.😎