JAMPOT

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Janet

Re: JAMPOT

Post by Janet »

Eamonn wrote:I'm open to other suggestions.....
:)
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

Janet wrote:
Eamonn wrote:I'm open to other suggestions.....
:)

:rofl:
Corners like a Lego man
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Eamonn

I assume it is your desire is to align access to Jampot however your system will never do this due to the vagaries of the postal system - my suggestion of giving every member access to the digital version assures alignment with the follow up of paper copies to those who subscribe to that version, would this be problematic?

Regards Mick
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

Mick D wrote:...giving every member access to the digital version assures alignment with the follow up of paper copies to those who subscribe to that version, would this be problematic?....

The only technical problem would be that of sending out notification emails to let people know the magazine was available. Our Internet Service Provider (ISP) like most has a limit to the number of emails a system is allowed to send out within a certain time period, this is designed to prevent a system from sending out hundreds of spam messages. Consequently when we send out the digital Jampot emails, we group the notifications into one email per 20 members giving us a total of about 35 emails sent (not enough to trigger the spam alerts). If we did the same thing for all 3,400 members it would require 170 emails and that may well cause problems!

One way around this would be for us to not send the emails, but just place a message on the Club News forum to say the new magazine was available - then it would be up to the individual to check and download if they wanted.

The biggest issue is not technical - it's people....!

If we made the digital version available immediately it was sent to the printers (after proof reading of course), any member who had access to the internet and our Forum would be able to take advantage of any special offers and/or adverts published in the magazine days before a paper based member would ever see them.
With the current split of (approx.) 2,600 paper based members and 700 digital members the majority of our membership would be disadvantaged by allowing immediate access to the digital Jampot. The club committee have always tried to ensure actions taken will be to the satisfaction of the majority of the membership and so we have the current system of digital Jampot distribution.

What we need to know is how many of the paper based members could access the digital version if they wanted.
Doing a quick check, of the 2,800 paper members, only 500 don't have an email address registered - so is it safe to assume that the other 2,300 paper members could access a digital version if they wanted to?

The fact that you're reading this message indicates you would be one of the early recipients of the magazine, so this Forum isn't the right place to objectively judge the proposition of making the digital version immediately available to all.
Corners like a Lego man
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

My paper copy arrived today (Exmouth, Devon). Looking at the posts in this thread, it appears that the deliveries start in the North and Europe (Belgium and France), then ripple down the country, with the South West last. This month,anyway.

Malc
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

MalcW wrote:My paper copy arrived today (Exmouth, Devon). Looking at the posts in this thread, it appears that the deliveries start in the North and Europe (Belgium and France), then ripple down the country, with the South West last. This month, anyway. Malc
Mine arrived near Brighton at Sussex by the Sea on Monday.........
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Eamonn

Thanks for taking the time to explain - I'm not over concerned, just putting forward what I'd consider to be a better / fairer option. Surely in this day and age the drive should be towards digital subscriptions - can the hard copies really be produced and distributed for only an additional £4 per year? I'd have thought the club would make more income per copy from the digital version.
The notification of distribution on the forum would seem to be a solution and by your calculation the majority have the ability to download the digital copy.

Regards Mick
JAH

Post by JAH »

Got mine Tuesday(06-03-2017)

JAH
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Mick D wrote:Hi Eamonn

I assume it is your desire is to align access to Jampot however your system will never do this due to the vagaries of the postal system - my suggestion of giving every member access to the digital version assures alignment with the follow up of paper copies to those who subscribe to that version, would this be problematic?

Regards Mick
How will this be done for a member without internet access. How will this be done to suit everyone in the club receiving the digital copy at the same time if at work with no access or in a different time zone somewhere in the world. There will always be winners and losers. I have had my paper copy 24 hours already and not had time to read it all yet. If anyone feels so put down by the delay of getting their Jampot magazine. There may be hope for you, the editorial team may take you on as a proof reader.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Mick D wrote:......by your calculation the majority have the ability to download the digital copy.
There is absolutely no way I would bother to read a digital magazine. The same as I can't enjoy books on a Kindle. There's something tactile and personal when relaxing with a brew and a hard copy as opposed to an anonymous and sterile computer screen. :cry:
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'