just totally confused

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
GOLDSTAR

just totally confused

Post by GOLDSTAR »

I am told I have a pm but cannot find the message on the forum, I go into what seems to be another site away from this particular forum and book in again, I still cannot access anything it appears, I will admit freely that computers are not my scene and I need to advised in words of hopefully one syllable how to combine the two club forums, oh sigh! kind regards :headbang:
alanengineer

Re: just totally confused

Post by alanengineer »

pm sent on how to open your message
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

That's going to confuse him as I have set one as well :o
Roy
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Go to the club home page, click on messages. When the page comes up you will see two little white envelopes, one marked new messages, click on the envelope to open the message, read reply etc basically as on the forum.
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.02.15_20h45m38s_001_.png
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.02.15_20h50m52s_002_.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

thanks chaps I will try what you suggest, however my confusion continues in that on this particular part of the site I am 'logged in' but when I go shall we say to 'adverts' I have to log in again? kind regards
yes I have just done as you suggest Rob and had to log in again?
les ward

Post by les ward »

I had a similar problem and it turned out that I had cookies disabled on my device. This meant that I had to log in for new pages etc as my ipad was not remembering the log in details. Enabling cookies solved the problem for me.
Janet

Post by Janet »

We have two areas, ie the forum and the main website pages. You need to be registered separately and log in to each separately. It's a situation that occurred historically because of some problem with the website a number of years ago. I'm not tech savvy but it may have been because of excessive bandwidth use or something. Eamonn knows all the ins and outs of it. You may have seen some people joining who are club members but it's not shown on their profile. This is because they have a username when they join the club but also need to log-in when they join the forum.

It's possible to send and receive a pm from the main 'old' website and, of course, also from here. If you can't find it in your forum inbox, do as Rob says and try logging in to the website homepage http://www.jampot.com/ and then look down the menu on the lhs and click on the one that says 'messages'. It may be in there. Once logged in 'over there', you should be able to access all those pages in that session but when you leave, if you close it down, you'll need to log in again on your next visit.
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

Janet wrote:We have two areas, ie the forum and the main website pages. You need to be registered separately and log in to each separately
Whilst that statement is true, all club members get an automatic registration in the Forum system once they have paid their subscription. Only "guest" members have to manually create two accounts - one for the Membership system and one for the Forum system.

Janet wrote: It's a situation that occurred historically because of some problem with the website a number of years ago.
No, the situation of have two separate systems, one for Membership and one for Forum, was to make it easier to find people who are prepared to help administer either the Forum or the Membership system. Up until 2012 there was only the one (large) system and it was hoped that by splitting it into two smaller systems it would be easier to find volunteers to help run them.

Janet wrote:You may have seen some people joining who are club members but it's not shown on their profile. This is because they have a username when they join the club but also need to log-in when they join the forum.
This arises when they initial register on the forum as a "guest", choosing a particular username and then when they create a Membership account they set it up with a different username. The Forum system only knows if the user is a club member by searching the club records for a matching username and so if the names don't match the Forum user continues to be seen as a "guest"

There are two Messaging systems in place - one is integrated into the Membership system and was in use up to 2012, the other is built into the Forum system and is the main recommend one to use.
However, the Forum system has certain limitations designed in to limit what non-members can do. Guest members cannot use the PM system in the Forum, also they cannot load photos onto our system (but that's another topic!) - so if anyone wants to communicate with a guest, it should only be done by responding to the posts within the Forum.

Since Members such as Goldstar have access to both the old PM ssytem (as shown by Rob's post) and the Forum system of messages sometimes you need to check both as the person sending the message may have done so from the old or new systems.
Corners like a Lego man
Janet

Post by Janet »

See, I said I didn't understand all the techy stuff. :oops:
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Janet wrote:See, I said I didn't understand all the techy stuff. :oops:

Messages.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'