Front wheel bearings singlesided hub

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Beefheart

Front wheel bearings singlesided hub

Post by Beefheart »

I have to replace the spindle assembly in my wheel due to a damaged bearing cup I have managed to locate a replacement cartridge type, but this is1.5 inch diameter my hub has a shoulder inside reducing it to approx 1.480. I think that I will have to have it reamed to 1.5 does any have any experience of this problem?
Rob Harknett

Re: Front wheel bearings singlesided hub

Post by Rob Harknett »

You need to refer to a part by name as seen in your parts list. The wheel has, Cup, bearing oil seal. Which could be replaced for about a fiver, if that is all that is damaged. So wonder why you bothered to source a part intended for a different wheel than you have. Why not look for the correct parts?
Beefheart

Post by Beefheart »

I haven't bought it yet still trying to get the correct part 012825 by my BMS parts list I was told by club shop yesterday that this is unobtainable and so is the bearing only.Apologies for incorrect terminology it's the bearing race that broke when pressed out.i would be delighted to get the correct part.
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

The Vintage Bearing Co. we're making the complete assembly, I saw these on their stall at Banbury some years ago, price was about £120, so about the same as the sealed bearing which I believe was for full width rear hubs. If you fit the sealed bearing then the spindle will need changing.
clive

Post by clive »

Hang on guys. The question is about the front single sided hub. This is a bearing with front spindle attached. When I fitted one from the club into my 6 inch WD type front hub it just slotted straight in.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Was'nt the Andrew engineering one sold for full width hubs and 'some' 1/2 width hubs.That came with the spindle. I dont know the difference between the hub sizes, never needed to look.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Bearing race, that makes a difference. These parts are not so easy to track down. Also quite expensive. So you do need to make sure what you find is correct before you buy.
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

Hi Jim, part no 012825 was still being used in '54 hubs. I have a spare outer race and, while it is not considered pukka practice to interchange taper roller inners and outers, I have done it without any noticeable problems on several occasions. PM me if you want it. Cheers, Andy
Beefheart

Post by Beefheart »

Hi Andy, that would be great thanks, I would PM you if if I knew how!
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Hover over 'Andy51' and a drop down 'Private message' show up. Click that and send your message.
Dave