What happens when ....

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
vincentvv

What happens when ....

Post by vincentvv »

my generation is "old" and all on retirement.....My generation is not interested at all in motorcycles, why should they when they are older? This thought struck me on broad daylight :?:
Not fired is always a misser!
Duncan

Re: What happens when ....

Post by Duncan »

You will be able to have what ever bike you desire, there is always an upside.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Old bikes will always be an interest for some people.
Some people still dress up as Roman Soldiers and fight mock battles, which happened 2,000 years ago.
Janet

Post by Janet »

It won't matter because the internal combustion engine will be banned from the world by then.
Alternatively, there may still be the people having a mid-life crisis who want to do something daring and anti-establishment now the kids have flown the nest, so they buy a motorcycle. Having done so, some may find they'd like to get one they could work on, so buy an old one.

If none of your contemporaries is interested in motorcycles of any age, you could have a problem. I don't know what it's like in small but beautifully formed Belgium, but in the UK we still have people who have ridden modern bikes since they we able, who then reach 45-50 and follow the pattern of the mid-life crisis, except they can already ride and they go straight to something to take to bits and try to put back together again.
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Never give up Vincent! I'm now 75 but off camping in Wales this weekend! Your generation probably prefers mountain biking!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

I don't care what generation you're from, mountain biking at 75 sucks! :?

Rob C
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Never seen the attraction mountain biking :beer:
only dead fish go with the flow
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

When I was living in Cornwall I decided to walk the S. West coastal path (in stages) until it dawned on me that all too often, in order to make 200yds of forward progress the path descended steeply for 200 yds onto the beach and then what was even worse a steep 200 yd climb back up to the top to continue the walk. Pointless, as I had already been walking along the top of the cliff before going to the bottom then back up again.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

I used to like working on cars - at least in those days you could open the bonnet and see all the bits and pieces like the starter motor, alternator, carbs, etc. Now you battle to see the dipstick to check the oil, you have to remove the engine to get to the starter and alternator - it's hard to get pleasure with tinkering around anymore. I find the same situation with modern motorcycles, you would first have to remove brittle plastic covers and fairings to see anything, and then unless you have a laptop, correct software and cable, you can't work on them anyway. I can see future generations enjoying the simplicity of our classic motorcycles.

Rob C
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Even though my car is now 12 years old, that gets plugged into a hand held device to discover a fault. Last time it was showing a fault, engine management took over. It showed an ignition coil had gone on one cylinder. Quite often its just a sensor that's gone, nothing really wrong with the car. Not good when a duff sensor cuts out your engine when you are doing 70 on a busy motorway. I was very lucky I could coast into the inside lane to re start the engine. Not knowing when the sensor may cut out again. Computer found nothing wrong. After 2/3 more cut outs, I just had to say, replace what ever sensors you think it could be that's intermittent. It turned out to be exhaust gases sensor? Or perhaps some dodgy petrol. So it cost me nearly £400 for nothing being wrong with the car. My old bike would not have complained too much about the dodgy fuel and just kept going.