1958 G80CS

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Stuoyb

1958 G80CS

Post by Stuoyb »

Do you have a 1958 G80CS (+/- a year)?

If so, it could become the star of a “Classic Bike” magazine feature.

The magazine is looking to do a feature and would like to talk to the owner, take some photos and a brief road test. If you have a suitable machine and would be willing to paticipate then please contact :-

Gez Kane, Classic Bike Magazine. 07875 736021
ajscomboman

Re: 1958 G80CS

Post by ajscomboman »

I offered them a 56 G80CS and a G3LCS along with a 63 CSR and G15CSR, never heard back from them.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I offered a bike late 1980's. A journalist eventually came to me. Spent quite some times on Q&A's for a story. Drove round the countryside looking for suitable back ground scenery for photos. Never heard another word. Similar thing happened for a TV documentary of " Mobile D.J. " Part one , filming interview took best part of an afternoon ( using up a bit of my works holiday entitlement ) Part two filming was " on the road " Filming getting ready to go to a venue, loading up arriving at venue, setting up equipment, filming the evening inc. interview people attending, etc etc Quite some time getting, date, venue, inc. venue making plans etc. getting venue ready, staff arrangements etc. only for short notice cancelation. All set for another date venue, more cancelations. I just gave up, as we had now been 18 months on the project. I think they just build up a store of possible magazine content. The documentary for TV, something to have in the bag, should they find a TV company to buy the documentary idea. Which was to be a series featuring peoples jobs.
You probably got let off a lot of time wasting, also incorrect editing, which would appear as your mistakes and errors, Rob.
pkr87

Post by pkr87 »

I had a similar problem with a magazine that wanted to do an article about my old M.G. The journalist had a lovely ride around the countryside in my car with me wondering if he had nicked it. Lots of talk about the car and it's history and taking of pictures. Never heard another word from them. If any body asks again they will have to pay first.
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

I have had a bike featured in Classic Bike and was treated to lunch and a tour of their Peterborough offices where they also took some still photos in the studio. I then had a seat in the camera car for some photos on the move and around some twisty bends.
My main reason for doing it though was for the professional photos which they promised would be sent on a disc when the article was published. That was ten years ago and despite several calls and emails at the time I'm still waiting. The bike did look good in the magazine though.
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

In April 2011, while wheeling my 1937 Matchless G80C, towards the club stand at the Stafford show, I was stopped by Morton's photographer who asked if they could take photo's and interview me for a future edition of ‘The Classic Motorcycle'.
I agreed photo's were taken followed by a short interview.
This appeared in the November 2011 edition as a centrefold. No photos' were received and I had to buy my own copy!
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Back in the late '70s I bought one of the first, street legal(?) Laverda MkI Montjuic 500cc proddy racers. I'd only had it a couple of days when I got a phone call from 'Bike' magazine. Apparently, the bike they'd been promised for a road test had been trashed and they wondered if I'd be interested in loaning them mine. They offered to run it in, thrash the nuts off it in a road test, service it and give it back to me. No remuneration but I would have the honour(?) of having my bike featured in the magazine. I told them politely where they could go!!
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Chap that came to see me was a pleasant person. I assume a freelance journalists. He rode behind me when we went out to find suitable locations for pictures. ( All phone call & letter communication at the time ) I did receive copy of his write up to proof read. I heard no more or saw any pictures. They must have been quite good. When taking the pic's, from some distance to get in scenery. He invited me to look at a zoom in shot of engine detail only. Very clear and sharp, even saw hair line fluff between fins. He did get articles published in the likes of Classic bike. I guess publishers did not use the one of my bike. He did say they had a queue waiting for publication 2/3 months into the future. Last thing I heard about the TV documentary about my job as D.J. was, it had been put on the back burner.
clive

Post by clive »

39speedtwin wrote:In April 2011, while wheeling my 1937 Matchless G80C, towards the club stand at the Stafford show, I was stopped by Morton's photographer who asked if they could take photo's and interview me for a future edition of ‘The Classic Motorcycle'.
I agreed photo's were taken followed by a short interview.
This appeared in the November 2011 edition as a centrefold. No photos' were received and I had to buy my own copy!
So you have been a centrefold picture Dudley, now I have a worrying picture in my mind :headbang:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Yes Clive I do, if I remember I will bring the magazine to Kempton on Saturday.