Mystery Crank Nut

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
ELPS

Mystery Crank Nut

Post by ELPS »

So have recently purchased a couple of crankshaft nuts for my used big end. The bag they came in was marked 000233 which I believe is the correct part number for a 3/4 inch thread/pin size. Problem is the new nuts measure 13/16 inch hole diameter. Any ideas what these nuts will fit? Could it be for the crank drive shaft or a later big end? The new nuts are the same physical size as my old ones, just a larger threaded hole. Thanks
Rob Harknett

Re: Mystery Crank Nut

Post by Rob Harknett »

000233 old pt. no. STD 233 ( description ) For crankpin 3/4" x 20 TPI. Introduced in the pre war era this nut continued in use into the post war era. You can trace its use in parts lists. Here. http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_lists/ It was used for some time. So I took a look at Matchless 1960 parts list. All singles used the nut except G8CS. No idea what bike you have to check if the nut is what you want.
ELPS

Post by ELPS »

Crank was out of a 49 G80 so I know the nuts are incorrect for my crankshaft. I thought it maybe a drive side shaft nut and someone may have a crank in pieces they could check.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

If you want a nut for the 1949 crank pin you will see the correct part number is STD 233. That is new part number 000223 which you received from clubs spare. You do need to be correct about the bike or parts you have. There does not appear to have been a 1949 G80. There was a 1949 G80L & G80LC. You must state the correct year/model number. Sometimes parts can change before and after certain engine numbers. Which will be seen in parts lists. Never mind, all 49 singles used 000233 crank pin nut. If nut 000233 does not fit the crank pin on your crank, this does not mean it is wrong. It means you must have the wrong crank pin fitted. 000233 was the most common crank pin nut used on singles mid 1930's onwards. Early parts list's will show it as being " special steel. " I had noticed a certain compt. single used a different nut. Perhaps your bike has been given a comp crank. I have heard of people fitting BSA as they say they are better than AMC.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Rob Harknett wrote:the correct part number is STD 233. That is new part number 000223 .
:?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
Rob Harknett wrote:the correct part number is STD 233. That is new part number 000223 .
I typed 000233 correct 3 out of 4 times Neville.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Rob Harknett wrote:
SPRIDDLER wrote:
Rob, I think you'll find that the correct pt number was quoted in the original posting!!! The part however didn't match the correct dimensions. I think you'll find that's why Nev was losing the will to live.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Rob Harknett wrote:
SPRIDDLER wrote:
Just a bit confused, Rob, especially as I can claim a 100% record, having married the wrong woman 3 times out of 3.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Janet

Post by Janet »

SPRIDDLER wrote:Just a bit confused, Rob, especially as I can claim a 100% record, having married the wrong woman 3 times out of 3.
Surely you both realised you'd made a mistake after your second wedding to each other. Marrying each other a third time was just plain silly. :lol:
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Rob, I think you'll find that the correct pt number was quoted in the original posting!!! The part however didn't match the correct dimensions. I think you'll find that's why Nev was losing the will to live.[/quote]
Neville had spotted in one instant, I typed 000223 instead of 000233.
If the 000233 nuts supplied by club spares, were the wrong dimension for the part number. Perhaps the club will confirm this and with draw them