Valve Springs

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
leswaller

Valve Springs

Post by leswaller »

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might get some valve springs for a prewar BSA?
I have tried Draganfly and Cornucopia without success
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
Rob Harknett

Re: Valve Springs

Post by Rob Harknett »

Perhaps the following have made them for customers. sales@neptuneworks.com Robert@active-springs.co.uk You would probably need to know the Terrys part number, if you do not have it ,it may be found here. http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Pis ... s_1938.pdf
Or in other cats. archived, Terrys, Metcalf. If you only see AJS & Matchless section listed I will have the full cat. for all models.
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

Thanks Rob, the catalogue indicates that the part number might be VS22, but as it just says BSA 2.49hp ohv, there is no way of knowing for certain.
The engine in question is a 1930 BSA B30/4, so if you have any further information I would be grateful
Les
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Cornucopia sold out then Les???? They are saying VS29. Perhaps VS 22 is a different year of 250. I can only find literature back to 1931
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.01.10_20h16m45s_001_.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

I also found those on cornucopia but I got some v29 from Draganfly who thought they were the right ones but they were too big, according to the Terry's list they are for the Blue Star which is a 500cc and wasn't produced until 1932. The B30/4 is a 250cc and was only produced for 1 year, i.e. 1930. So i have emailed Cornucopia and am waiting for a reply
Les
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ashampoo_Snap_2018.01.11_00h09m25s_003_.png
Not sure if you looked at Metcalf Les. Couple of BSA 250 OHV spring sets listed. Their part no. no year size etc stated. Not much help though, be lucky to find any new old stock.
The cat. lists many parts like sprockets, with dimensions, so may be handy to know, where parts dimensions can be found.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CliveSW

Post by CliveSW »

It might be worth asking the question on the bsac10c11c12 website, there are people on there with a lot of knowledge on early BSAs.
shifter

Post by shifter »

Hello I don't know if this is going to be any help or cross reference, here is a clip my 1936 B.S.A parts list ignore the old biro pen markings
shifter
?
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

Clive - thanks for that I will post there and see what happens
Shifter - Not sure if that helps or not, the part numbers are different and as the B30/4 was only produced for one year the 2.49 O.H.V. B2 might be a different engine. I wonder if the B2 refers to the Blue Star which, as Rob has pointed out, also appears to have been available as a 249 cc. as well as 350 and 500 versions
Rob - I think the springs I need are S15 on your list whilst the 249 cc Blue Star springs appear to be S16, so obviously different as I have discovered. Yet Cornucopia think they are the same.
This is getting confusing and causing brain fade :headbang: :headbang:
Les
shifter

Post by shifter »

Les, I will have a scratch around as i used to have lots of old B.S.A. books/service sheets and the like,
?