Valve Springs

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Rob Harknett

Re: Valve Springs

Post by Rob Harknett »

leswaller wrote:Clive - thanks for that I will post there and see what happens
Shifter - Not sure if that helps or not, the part numbers are different and as the B30/4 was only produced for one year the 2.49 O.H.V. B2 might be a different engine. I wonder if the B2 refers to the Blue Star which, as Rob has pointed out, also appears to have been available as a 249 cc. as well as 350 and 500 versions
Rob - I think the springs I need are S15 on your list whilst the 249 cc Blue Star springs appear to be S16, so obviously different as I have discovered. Yet Cornucopia think they are the same.
This is getting confusing and causing brain fade :headbang: :headbang:
Indeed S15 Les, as first 250 is SV, the third states two pairs. Sadly they give no dimensions, which may have been a bit more help. I have something that may assist you. Which I cannot reduce to post here, readable. I'll be in touch.
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

Problem solved!!
After a long conversation with Draganfly on Friday pm it would appear that the springs they sent me as a substitute for Terry's V29, which should have fitted, had been wrongly labelled. Hence they were too big.
They have no V29 springs but the very helpful guy at Draganfly measured all the similar springs and we came to the conclusion that V28 was a good option. The only difference being that the inner springs are about 1/4" longer.
Despatched at 3:30 pm Friday, arrived in the post Saturday morning.Now that is what I call service!
Many thanks to everyone on the forum who allowed me to post and those who came up with some excellent advice and good options for future spares needs for what is quite a rare bike.
Much appreciated.
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

That's good Les. They also saved you searching old spring sales cats. to discover the dimensions. One can often find a part that will fit or almost fit with minimal machining, like pistons valves etc.
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

A spring is nothing special, just a bit of bent wire. If you are ever stuck for any particular spring from your usual suppliers of motor cycle parts, don't despair. Go direct to one of the spring manufacturers direct. You will need to provide them with the following information:- spring length, wire gauge, end finish (ground flat), strength if known (rate), material, outside diameter. That just about covers it.

Have I ever specified springs for mechanical use. Not so many, but certainly from a few specials to several millions. As I said previously. It's a bit of bent wire.
Have at look at the Lee Springs web site to give some idea of their range and this is just one of several manufacturers.

http://www.leespring.com/uk_browse_cata ... geNumber=2