Bitsa thoughts

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
StephenG80

Bitsa thoughts

Post by StephenG80 »

Hi - just wondering if its possible to put a G12 in these frames ? ('57 G3/80) :-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/matchless-G3 ... SwGPxZ9a2n

Also, even though this is a '57 frame, is it possible to fit the old style pre '55 kidney oil tank as opposed to the "square" one without fabricating brackets/frame mods? ie is it the same as the '54 frame?

I really like the look of '51 G9 with Jampots so was thinking this might be a route to build something with a similar look but a bit more poke

(I am presuming a G12 won't fit into a hardtail G80 frame? - that would jut be too sweeeeeet)
Rob Harknett

Re: Bitsa thoughts

Post by Rob Harknett »

Single frame would not have twin head steady on front down tube. You will find different fittings for oil tank battery carrier etc.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

(I am presuming a G12 won't fit into a hardtail G80 frame? - that would jut be too sweeeeeet)
There was a chap from Australia who used to post on here who had just such a bike, he posted some pictures on a post one time. Generally anything is possible as the basic layout of the machines has not fundamentally changed but you will need to undertake some fabrication and modification.
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

Rob Harknett wrote:Single frame would not have twin head steady on front down tube. You will find different fittings for oil tank battery carrier etc.
Thanks Rob

Ok - so head steady bracket can be fabricated and welded to frame - is that the only difference in the frames, any other geometry which means it won't fit?

When you say "different fittings"- I presume you mean tabs etc on the frame itself? - so I would have to modify those for the old style oil tank?
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

Duncan wrote:
There was a chap from Australia who used to post on here who had just such a bike, he posted some pictures on a post one time. Generally anything is possible as the basic layout of the machines has not fundamentally changed but you will need to undertake some fabrication and modification.

Oooooh -must find that post. You can't recall his name can you Duncan?
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Lost to a third party picture hosting site I am afraid http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 894#p91894
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Stephen G80 wrote:Hi - just wondering if its possible to put a G12 in these frames ? ('57 G3/80) :-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/matchless-G3 ... SwGPxZ9a2n

Also, even though this is a '57 frame, is it possible to fit the old style pre '55 kidney oil tank as opposed to the "square" one without fabricating brackets/frame mods? ie is it the same as the '54 frame?

I really like the look of '51 G9 with Jampots so was thinking this might be a route to build something with a similar look but a bit more poke

It would seem that the log book is not for that frame as the number 35539 is not a 1957 number, but dates 1955 if you put the letter A first.
Roy
g5wqian

Post by g5wqian »

unless its a bike with standard appearance , the dvla will most likely make its identity void and cancel it , and tell you it has to have a Q plate and be re registered .
they have done this with me recently on my ariel leader cafe racer style bike , so i am going to restore one of my ariel arrow remains and restore it to a standard looking bike and age related plate .

anyone with a bike that has had non standard changes made to it may encounter the same as i did and it seems to be happening now when you sell a restoration project or bike and enter the process to change the V5C to new keeper , they then send you a "STANDARD" letter saying their records show a descrepancy and asking for pics of the bike and any details of modifications or changes made to it, may also include a form v627/1 "vehicle made from parts " to fill in .

you then comply like i did and send the pics etc off and they send you a letter back saying thanks for your request for the vehicle registration but due to changes made to this vehicle the registration is now void and cancelled and its identity is no more .
they tell you that the re registration dept will be in touch and that the vehicle should be on a Q plate .

then you get letter from another dept saying they have given you a NEW VIN number that must be stamped by a garage onto the frame/chassis , then you are required to have an IVA test .

you will probably be ok with a modified bike or cafe racer styled bike if you have it registered in your name and it is taxed and insured now , but when selling it thats when the problems might appear with the dvla if they request photos of the bike and it isnt a standard looking bike .

i dont expect many people have encountered this yet , but it has a lot of the custom bike and hot rod and custom car world wondering whats going to happen with all their vehicles .

needs the FBHVC and all the clubs to get something sorted out with the dvla on this or it means the dvla will do whatever they want to .

the dvla dont seem to have any archivists with expert knowledge on old vehicles and they dont seem to want to communicate with you either on it , of all my e mail to them they have not replied once to me [ but the server acknowledged receipt of my mail ]and when i get a letter from them it is allways written by another person other than the one who sent the previous or first communication to me .
i cannot get the same person twice there , nor can i get any answers to questions i ask about what i need to do or whether i need to fill in the forms they have sent me or if i need to do something else , i allways draw a blank with them ..

to me it looks like they have hatched a plan to recoup old registration numbers and sell them , so i am keeping an eye on the one i lost to see if it gets used on something else or comes up for sale .

in all the years i have bought vehicles for myself i have never until now encountered this problem , so be carefull in what you send them back if they contact you and ask for photos of the bike or car , or you may lose its identity and documents with the dvla if it isnt what they require it to be .
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

In the 6 years of being the clubs dating officer I have never had trouble with the DVLA if you produce the correct papers and follow the rules. You can call me if you wish but it may be to late now.
Roy
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Stephen G80 wrote:
Rob Harknett wrote:Single frame would not have twin head steady on front down tube. You will find different fittings for oil tank battery carrier etc.
Thanks Rob

Ok - so head steady bracket can be fabricated and welded to frame - is that the only difference in the frames, any other geometry which means it won't fit?

When you say "different fittings"- I presume you mean tabs etc on the frame itself? - so I would have to modify those for the old style oil tank?
There would be different tab fittings. Also between the kidney and pannier type oil tank and toll box. 1955 was a one off year for different oil tank and battery carrier fitting. Pre 55 and pannier type tank etc fittings also differ. You should also be aware of early single front down tube and later duplex frames. You can see frame pictures in parts lists www.archives.jampot.dk