1955 G9 trip reset

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Rob Harknett

Re: 1955 G9 trip reset

Post by Rob Harknett »

ducati2242 wrote:Thanks for all your help I now know the fit . My own headlamp is different again , could be wrong as I purchased bike as a box of bits , There is a back to the electrics and switchgear but the clock is more open . The picture has a cheap aftermarket clock that got it past its one and only mot .
From what I see in the pics, you do have the correct 55 headlamp. Look in Lucas 1955 AMC parts list / sales cat. It would have sealed beam main light and Torpedo side lights. Some bikes make do with older innards, with parking light bulb incorporated in the reflector, instead of the torpedo side lights. Note the side lights act as the head lamp fixing bolts.
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.01.01_23h58m46s_001_.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shifter

Post by shifter »

ducati2242 wrote:Thanks for all your help I now know the fit . My own headlamp is different again , could be wrong as I purchased bike as a box of bits , There is a back to the electrics and switchgear but the clock is more open . The picture has a cheap aftermarket clock that got it past its one and only mot .
That headlight on your bike is the same as the one on mine
?
ducati2242

Post by ducati2242 »

Rob Harknett wrote:
From what I see in the pics, you do have the correct 55 headlamp. Look in Lucas 1955 AMC parts list / sales cat. It would have sealed beam main light and Torpedo side lights. Some bikes make do with older innards, with parking light bulb incorporated in the reflector, instead of the torpedo side lights. Note the side lights act as the head lamp fixing bolts.
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.01.01_23h58m46s_001_.png

yes thats the one i have fitted . thanks
g5wqian

Post by g5wqian »

my 56 model 30 has a short 4" or so trip flexi type rod hanging down from speedo between back of headlight and the forks , in amongst the wires etc and you need to get your hand in there to operate it and it isnt that easy to access it .

you have to try and get a grip on it and rotate it , im not sure if i had to pull or push the end of the rod in but i dont use it very often and just let the oddometer run to see what mileage i do in a year etc .
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

It is advisable to put a small amount of grease or Vaseline on the trip shaft before fitting the cable and split pin, as both metals are steel they tend to rust together and hence the shaft breaks where the split pin is attached. These cables are available on EBay in 3 lengths.
LynP

Post by LynP »

Hi, On mine you pull down and rotate to reset the trip.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Don't push it up.... you can damage the mechanism. When you fit a new extension / knob to the short shaft that protrudes from the casing, hold the shaft with a pair of needle nosed pliers so that it doesn't get pushed up when you fit the extension / knob.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

You have to pull the shaft out against spring tension with needlenosed pliers to be able to get the splitpin in.

Rob C
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

My 1956 G80S is as descxribed above but stopped working not so very long ago. I just use the msain odometer now but when making my stops I can get confused about the target mileage for the next stop compared with the need to pull in for petrol!

Johnny B