Convert ajs to matchless dvla advice

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
croxford

Convert ajs to matchless dvla advice

Post by croxford »

Hi all we are currently rebuilding a ajs model 31 1960 but we are doing it to matchless colours and badging just because we like the colour of a g12 and we already have a model 31 now comes the queries on the log book it is a model 31 ajs now can we change it to a matchless g12 without looseing the original registration or do I just go down the route and say to the insurance it is modified to look like a matchless but is still an ajs as they where the same bike I'm just worried about this as in the event of accident they will look at the badge and say it's a matchless not an ajs your not covered but how do I say it's only a badge I know the colour needs changing on the log book but what about the make is this a dvla change as frame and engine are still ajs or an insurance modification
Many thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Rob Harknett

Re: Convert ajs to matchless dvla advice

Post by Rob Harknett »

Why not ask DVLA? Perhaps you may feel, is it worth the hassel you will be inviting. In particular getting it registered as what you want. You may have problems getting the reg no. back even getting an age related no. Tax free historic vehicle class, over 40 years old M o T free. This will all become a problem. A good honest 1960 AJS 31. Built like a bitsa priced like a bitsa. I would not even consider changing a good honest bike, let alone invite so many problems. It would make more sense to sell/exchange it and get a Matchless if that's what you want. I am really speechless as to why you would be considering what you are doing , but there I've said it, before some one else does.
croxford

Post by croxford »

Why are you speechless roy I it can always be changed back to an ajs at some point with a respray and new badges I just happen to want a matchless red bike in the collection it's the same bike and its not a bitsa as its an origional bike just with new badges and I am after advice to be legal why can't we all be different in our choice it's not as if i am making into a triumph or bsa it will still be of the same mark and of the club unless this sort of thing is not wanted under the ajs and matchless owners club umbrella

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Hi Paul, if everything other than the tank badges and transfers is an AJS then I would say it should stay as an AJS on the log book (as it is the frame that designates the make), as you note the colour would need updating and for peace of mind you can inform the insurance company that it is a Matchless badged AJS if you so desire. The way I look at it if you painted it yellow and called it a banana the DVLA would still see it as an AJS.
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

I agree with Duncan. You will need to tell the DVLA about the change of colour but I can't see they will be interested in it having different tank badges / transfers. The crankcase will be marked AJS anyway? Cheers. Bruce.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

[quote="Duncan" The way I look at it if you painted it yellow and called it a banana the DVLA would still see it as an AJS.[/quote]

And if you paint it Orange :lol:
Roy
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

G15 Roy wrote:And if you paint it Orange :lol:
It would be a disgrace!
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Duncan wrote:
It would be a disgrace!
But do I need to tell the my Mum.
Roy
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

It may not be high on your priorities list right now but I'm pretty sure your proposed re-badging / re-liverying will adversely affect the re-sale value.

Might be a consideration.

Regards Mick
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

G15 Roy wrote:
Duncan wrote:
It would be a disgrace!
But do I need to tell the my Mum.
Personally I think it is something you should keep very quiet about and seek professional help (I am thinking painter rather than psychiatrist but both are equally applicable)