Convert ajs to matchless dvla advice

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
REW

Re: Convert ajs to matchless dvla advice

Post by REW »

Do exactly as you like? Well, yes though you may well open a can of worms as others have suggested - best to know in advance if that is the case: see here: http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=22995
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
ksj_LAPSED

Post by ksj_LAPSED »

you havn't got to worry about a testas it doesn't need one
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

Happy New Year!

I had an early morning milk round as an extra job in the 70s. The boss had two Bedford CA vans, one about two years old and an ancient one not fit for the road. Loads of play in the steering, no handbrake, no rear doors, sliding driver door fixed open etc. You can guess which one I had. After a couple of months he announced that it was due for an MOT that day. Yes! No chance of a pass.

Next morning I innocently asked if it had passed "No trouble" he replied "Good job you reminded me though, I'll have to swap the plates back before you go out". He'd put my plates on his van for the test! Don't think you'd get away with that now
ray.woolford

Post by ray.woolford »

Hi Paul, well that's got everyone going and it's only day one of 2018 any other interesting ideas to keep us entertained.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

poplargreg wrote:Happy New Year!

I had an early morning milk round as an extra job in the 70s. The boss had two Bedford CA vans, one about two years old and an ancient one not fit for the road. Loads of play in the steering, no handbrake, no rear doors, sliding driver door fixed open etc. You can guess which one I had. After a couple of months he announced that it was due for an MOT that day. Yes! No chance of a pass.

Next morning I innocently asked if it had passed "No trouble" he replied "Good job you reminded me though, I'll have to swap the plates back before you go out". He'd put my plates on his van for the test! Don't think you'd get away with that now
Blimey, back in the 60's I never got away with not having a dip switch on my trails built FB. I used a spot lamp for an head light. When asked how dipped the light, I showed him. This was done by moving the spot lamp up and down having left the fixing bolts loose. He said you cant do that. I said I just did. No you must have a dip switch. Failed M o T. So I sold the bike to our river lock keeper. To ride along the river tow path between the locks he operated.
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

Bought a Morris Oxford van late 60s. Had it tested on way home. Dipswich wouldn't worrk, but it passed because it was stuck on dip, not full beam. Your tester didn't know his job!

Why can't we have foot operated dip switches (no, don't be silly, on cars) like we used to? You could rest your foot on it and dip instantly. Some EU regulation no doubt.