The weather!!

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Janet

Re: The weather!!

Post by Janet »

The final day of Lincoln Christmas Market was cancelled becasue there was a forecast of bad weather.

When Ann and I were visiting the markets in some European towns, there were no restrictions despite the snow. A few years ago in Monschau, half a roof covering of soft snow slid off and landed on Ann. I was walking behind her and far enough back not to get any of it. Oh, how I laughed. :rofl:
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

We are just not prepared for winter weather here. I have driven a Reliant in Scandinavia with snow over 2 meters deep. None on roads. One winter I drove from the north of Demark to Esjberg, In my rear view mirror the sky was black. The black sky chased me all the way to the port until heavy snow reached me. Friends we stayed with phoned a day later and said you made it OK then. Snow is up to our bedroom windows. They said pity it did not snow earlier, its good fun watching our visitors trying to get about on Ski's.
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

Ozmadman wrote:
poplargreg wrote:I assume it has an E mark and you've Carried out a full risk assessment :?:
Just what I was thinking!! gone are the days when hurting yourself was your fault!!
+ If they were his students of any kind, Rob would have to get parental consent forms completed, check if any of them had mediscal issues and ensure he practised differentiation (ie ensuring that all abilities were catered for and ensuring that none of his group of toboganists would suffer any form of discrimination), more paperwork. By the time that is done, the snow will have melted. Nothing can be done on the spur of the moment nowadays.

When I was at school, if it snowed and some staff and pupils were missing, we were all issued with metal trays from the canteen and climbed the hill above our playing field.
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

I agree with Rob, people just aren't skilled to drive in snow any more. Walking back home from the town centre this morning I passed a man giving advice to a female driver who was stuck in her Audi in about 10 inches of snow. His advice was "keep the steering wheel straight, put it in 1st gear and give it some welly" :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Crazy world. Just saw on TV, kids on Toboggans, rough and tumble, throwing snow balls that may contain stones. Why?? School closed due to cold and risk of slipping on the way to school. So I wonder how many accidents there were , which would not have happened had they been sitting in school all day.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

leswaller wrote:I agree with Rob, people just aren't skilled to drive in snow any more. Walking back home from the town centre this morning I passed a man giving advice to a female driver who was stuck in her Audi in about 10 inches of snow. His advice was "keep the steering wheel straight, put it in 1st gear and give it some welly" :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
I never bothered switching my car to anti wheel spin, forgot actually. However I found I was better off without it. On my short no problem drive Sunday I saw one car go down the same hill as I, hit the brakes at the bottom of the hill nearing a T junction, just slid down the hill across the junction and up a bank where it was abandoned. Other cars were abandoned trying to get up. Saw a VW Golf trying to get up the hill almost flat out in first gear by the racket it was making.
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Put a manual car in first gear, foot of the accelerator, let out the clutch slowly and remain like this until you are on level ground, never use the accelerator!
rex.webb

Post by rex.webb »

THIS WORKS on MY DIESEL SCENIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Put a manual car in first gear, foot of the accelerator, let out the clutch slowly and remain like this until you are on level ground, never use the accelerator!

In SNOW OR MUD ???????????????????????????????

HAPPY CHRISTMAS to Everone from

REX the FENRUNNER`s SANTA .

RIDE with CARE and LIVE LONG

To ENJOY your MOTORCYCLING and Scootering .
r w webb
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Back in 2010 I think it was, when we had bad snow, your Renault Scenic technique worked for me in my Megane as well. Several cars tried getting up this hill and failed. I looked at it and thought it should be do-able. And it was; in fact I got a round of applause from some pedestrians at the top. But then back in the day when we had more snow we got more practise - in fact we sometimes went to a local airfield (Lasham in Hampshire) and practised on the perimeter track and the runway. High speed left turns on full right lock, steering with the throttle, that sort of thing. Gave you much more confidence on the roads.
Down here in Devon at the moment there's no snow, but it's b****y cold. It's testing my enthusiasm to go out and do any work in the garage.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Safest vehicle I have ever had to ride in snow has been a BSA A10 combo. Back in the 60's I think 1963 we had a lot of snow for days. It froze solid onto which fell more snow. I had knobbly tyres on the rear and side car wheels. Not by choice, because I picked the pair up cheap. The rear knobbly proved good in snow. Also good fun. Just for devilment to scare my side car passengers, I could hit just the sidecar brake. The combo would then spin like a spinning top. Biggest scare I had was when I met a van coming towards me at speed. The snow had made the road single track. I had to get out of the vans way to avoid a head on crash. I choose to drive off the road into a field. I hit a bank of snow that was frozen solid like a brick wall, first with the sidecar wheel. This sent me up in the air upside down. Still up side down my windscreen just clipped the shoulder of a cyclist. I flipped right way up and landed in the field on the opposite side of the road. Just drove back on the road and continued home as if nothing had happened.