Lucas Dynamo

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
friday

Lucas Dynamo

Post by friday »

hi guys , can anyone identify this dynamo model , running clockwise but could have been repolarised . not my bike . it looks like its hanging from the battery tray . TIA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Re: Lucas Dynamo

Post by Rob Harknett »

Can you see a number?
friday

Post by friday »

no Im just going by that pic . I just thought some one might see it at a glance be able to name the model
g5wqian

Post by g5wqian »

looks like an E3L but you need to check if the armature shaft is tapered or parallel where the pulley is fitted , my E3L-L-I-0 has parallel shaft .

you can get all the parts for them .

wires and brushes are the other end under the cap .
friday

Post by friday »

the end cap is missing . because of lack of pic detail its probably a nut on taper thats a small pulley
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Groily

Post by Groily »

It is a Lucas, yes.
Can't determine the length from the pic though. If, on the underside as it is mounted on the bike, you can see the heads of two big screws holding the field coil pole shoe, then it's an E3L. If only one, then it's a short model. Looks to have a small bearing at the brush end though, not an oilite bush, which again tends to suggest E3L. The bearing retainer plate at the pulley end may be a one-off, it's hard to see the exact shape, but in whichever case, not a hard instrument to refurbish as the parts are available easily.
The model details will be stamped on the yoke somewhere, probably inconveniently out of sight (of course!).
As mentioned, armatures come with different ends for gear drive (parallel shaft with keyways) or a sprocket (taper). There may also be a threaded portion outboard the bearing for a screw-on collar, or it may be plain with a push-fit collar. An oil seal sits on the collar - which would be irrelevant in your application I think.
At the brush end there are also options - plastic cover with steel band, single piece tin lid, etc. The insulated brush holder plate attached to the brush end of the instrument by three 5BA screws is different according to the end cover fitted, but almost always it's possible to use a mixture of bits if necessary.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »