Bike indentification please

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Eamonn
Webmaster

Bike indentification please

Post by Eamonn »

I received the following email this week, perhaps someone can assist in the identification of the outfit?

> Please could you help us identify my Grandfathers motorbike and sidecar
> which we believe is an AJS.

There appears to be two bikes in the attached picture, I'm not sure whether the person requesting the information is after just the outfit or both bikes.

Steve_B.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Corners like a Lego man
Rob Harknett

Re: Bike indentification please

Post by Rob Harknett »

There are two bikes.
DUX is 1947 reg. no. I do not recall a chrome tank for 1947 AJS .
KK is 1922/24 reg.no. The high number suggests 1924. The sidecar looks a little like a 1924 AJS sports model. The forks, which is about all that can be seen of the bike, could be AJS. However a lot of marques had that oval tubing style forks. Need to see the other side of bike. Which may show more clues.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

could the AJS on the tank be a clue , most likely a AJS ( the bike with chair fitted )
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

The solo front end reminds me of a Douglas
ducati2242

Post by ducati2242 »

probably something like this v twin .model D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ducati2242

Post by ducati2242 »

The other looks like a Royal Enfield 1947 model G . At least the mudguard and forks do .
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

g80csp11 wrote:could the AJS on the tank be a clue , most likely a AJS ( the bike with chair fitted )
I cannot see AJS on the tank.
The 1924 AJS v twin models D & D1 were Passenger Combinations. Very few complete examples survive. Transport for quite a well off family costing about the same as a house. By 1924 a passenger combination had become more affordable. It may not had been noticed, pre WW1 a combination was a very expensive luxury, costing more than a house to buy. Soon after WW1 prices fell by almost half.
Model D was the de lux passenger combination, the D1 a cheaper version of both bike & sidecar. There was a sporty alloy side car. Not really something for the family man. More likely something for the wealthy young gent, to impress the ladies with.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Who spotted the sprung saddle on the mod D colour pic ? Leaf springs projecting forward from rear carrier area holding the saddle. The cheaper D1 version had the standard saddle with 2 coil springs.
rex.webb

Post by rex.webb »

tHE OIL PIPE FROM THE tOP OF THE TANK ON THE sidecar bike IS AS ON MY 1924 ajs 350 CC
Ride WITH care AND live LONG
To ENJOY YOUR
MOTORCYCLING AND SCOOTERING
r w webb
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Quite a few marques of flat tankers had hand oil pump and pipe line similar Rex. Anyway, I took another look and played about with the photo. It does now appear to have AJS on the tank. It does not have v twin forks. It is not B 4 racing model. Not B5 as the front guard and no. plate is wrong. Not model B, which has the no. plate up front level with the front of the front guard as on the B5. The B1 has the no. plate set back from the front end of the guard, as the bike in question has. So I will conclude in saying, its a 1924 AJS 2 3/4 HP model B1 ?
I have included the model B as it shows the LH side of the bike, so you can see the difference in the no. plate position I referred to.
Steve_B.jpg
Ashampoo_Snap_2017.11.27_22h36m12s_001_.png
Ashampoo_Snap_2017.11.27_22h36m44s_002_.png