Bill Cakebread talk

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
GOLDSTAR

Bill Cakebread talk

Post by GOLDSTAR »

Went to a interesting talk by Bill Cakebread last evening, subject of course Matchless and the factory , very well attended standing room only in the end, nice easy presentation with some humour and audience participation, if you get a chance to attend one of his talks 'tis well worth taking it, no fee charged though many present purchased his latest book [£12] pretty interesting saga of the Colliers.
kind regards
bostonted

Re: Bill Cakebread talk

Post by bostonted »

Would like to go to one , how do you know when he is doing one .
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

we got to hear of it through the local VMCC however we had to book in at CILT, chartered institute of logistics and transport, 01536 740104, maybe worth contacting them and asking you be notified of any forthcoming events of this nature, you may be able to contact Bill through one of the sites relating to his books, kind regards
P10

Post by P10 »

I did one for the VMCC Norfolk in Brundall last year and normally just do them only when requested. It depends on the location of course. I can be contacted at one.track@btinternet.com or through our website http://www.workingatamc.london which you may find interesting. My books can be found on that site under 'links'. We usually take a few days holiday in Norfolk every year to ride with another former AMC apprentice friend.
Best regards
Bill
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

thanks Bill for you input, I wasn't to sure whether to give out your contact address or not, kind regards
pkr87

Post by pkr87 »

I booked 2 tickets with CILT only later to get an email telling me that there were no spaces. I was hoping to take Bernard Copplestone's daughter to the talk. Bernard worked at A.J.S.. I even have a copy of Bill's book which I had hoped to get him to sign.
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

that's a shame Paul, I'm sure though if you contact him arrangements could be made for him to sign your book, rubbing salt into the wound,I guess, he was actually signing those books some had brought with ,em. Kind regrds
P10

Post by P10 »

Dear pkr87,
Bernie Coppleston was a very good friend of ours and we were apprentices together at the same time. I felt sorry for the organisers as they expected a maximum of 30 and 63 turned up. There really were no spaces! I recall that Bernard lived at Willesborough, Ashford. If you contact me through the E-mail address, I will be happy to sign your book and I am sure that we can arrange a mutually convenient time and place to meet. Where are you in Kent?
pkr87

Post by pkr87 »

Hello Bill, What a kind response, thank you. I shall be in touch.Paul
pkr87

Post by pkr87 »

I have just met Bill while he was on a shopping trip nearby, what a charming man. He kindly signed my copy of his 'Motorcycle Apprentice' and I got a copy of his 'Matchless Colliers' book from him. I am reading the new book already and can recommend it even though I haven't finished the first chapter yet.Paul