1959 31centre stand spring

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
IanRJack

Post by IanRJack »

Hi fellow members,I have removed the centre stand from my model 31 for straightening, that was the easy bit,i have spent three hours trying to get the spring located,and i have given up for today.the hooked end at the moment is wedged on a nut on the outside of the engine plate I have tried string, screwdrivers etc. I will have another go tomorrow, any helpful advise appreciated.Ian
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Hi Ian, do a forum search - 'centre stand spring' within the last year, You will be surprised at the many and varied methods. Got any fingers left?Edited by - Biscuit on 28 May 2006 7:23:29 PM

paul knapp

Post by paul knapp »

G'day Ian, What we have done recently on two different earlier twins, is to fit stand with the spring loose, ie. with the springs long straight leg on the wrong side of stand cross bar,(up against g/box), only the short hook end fitted in R/H engine plate. There will still be a little manageable tension in spring. Then, hook the eye of a small ring spanner (eg.1/4"W) over long end of spring, and with stand in the up position, pull spring end across to the r/h side of stand and down through the corner (created by R/H leg and cross bar) of opening of stand and back again on the other side of cross bar. Simple!!, done in seconds with no strained fingers.I have had the occasion to remove the center stand several times, and it only entailed slipping same ring spanner over end of spring and reversing the manover to release the tension.
I used a ring spanner only for convenience.
good luck
Paul
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Peter Lecompte

Re: 1959 31centre stand spring

Post by Peter Lecompte »

Hi Paul,
I will remember that ring spannebmethod when I get around to re-fitting this spring. Thanks Paul..
Cheers