Instant gasket users - Beware!

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
raffles

Re: Instant gasket users - Beware!

Post by raffles »

I have run a 600 twin on modern synthetic oil and although it did not use any oil on sae 40 monograde it smoked and used about 300 miles to the pint
on the synthetic.
Tony
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

Greybeard wrote: My original point was simply that instant gasket can block filters etc. and the evidence was supplied.
...and you and two previous owners provide proof that the pieces of loose instant gasket actually do no harm to the engine. :headbang:

Rob C
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Ignoring the oil matter and staying on topic.

I had a hellish ride down to London from Middlesbrough many years ago when the Matchless was laid up.

B40SS with close ratio box that was really quite quick but after about 80 miles had to stop and drop the float bowl off as it was intermittently failing.

Bits of instant gasket blocking the main jet. This process was repeated many times on the 230 odd mile trip.

Left it with my Dad and got the coach back (all I could afford). He sorted it all out and sold it for more than I paid for it (quite a bit more I remember) and the lads went off smiling.

Haven't used the instant stuff since.

Johnny B

PS used 20/50 and all kinds of stuff in the Matchless in the early days rather than nowt; now it's just straight SAE and change regularly.

Post by 1608 »

Not wishing to prolong the oil debate too much longer but, in my 1961 RE Connie hand book ( some time when I imagine multigrades were becoming the thing ) it advises that if a 20/50 grade oil is to be used then the engine should be thoroughly cleaned first!!! I make no comment for or against.
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

Steve I don't think he had an axe to grind as that company sells a full range of oils from liquid grease and gear oils through monogrades to full synthetic multi grades
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
Janet

Post by Janet »

Greybeard wrote:I could say, you show me yours first, Rob - but that would be childish :D
After 40 plus years of being in and around engines of all ages/mileages Ive never come across anything to support it.
There is an article on the Real Classics site which has been posted several times on here. That article was written by an expert in the field and is well worth reading.

Steve
I think you're referring to this. http://www.realclassic.co.uk/techfiles/oil030319.html I don't understand a lot of it but found it an interesting read anyway.

Regular oil changes are the way I go.
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

Janet wrote:
Greybeard wrote:I could say, you show me yours first, Rob - but that would be childish :D
After 40 plus years of being in and around engines of all ages/mileages Ive never come across anything to support it.
There is an article on the Real Classics site which has been posted several times on here. That article was written by an expert in the field and is well worth reading.

Steve
I think you're referring to this. http://www.realclassic.co.uk/techfiles/oil030319.html I don't understand a lot of it but found it an interesting read anyway.

Regular oil changes are the way I go.
That was an interesting read. Nice to see a good clear common sense article on this subject. Thanks.:beer:

I run my G3/G80 bikes on straight 50 with regular oil changes. Always use a new filter, never wash out the old felt filter and always check that the filter length is correct, I have seen some shorter filters. Maybe these are from another model, but they are not a correct fit for the pre 55 bikes.