Indian mudguards

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Harry44

Indian mudguards

Post by Harry44 »

Me new Mudguards have arrived from India, the ones on the bike are not original, so its time to pull the 18s apart for a dry build before getting them painted. Santa got here early :D
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
cbranni

Re: Indian mudguards

Post by cbranni »

Let us know Alan how they look and fit.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
moley

Post by moley »

I found the front indian guard was ok to fit but after a lot of hacking about the rear one never looked right and I scrapped the guard and obtained an original. ta andy
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

I've put the front in with a struggle It's gonna need some fettling the tyre rubs on it, but I need to check that the wheel is central before I do much else. The wheel was rebuilt before I bought it so could be off centre, or the wheel spindle could be missing a spacer perhaps there should be something between the fork leg and spindle. added to that the brake torque arm pushes the mudguard towards the tyre. So it's pull it apart and find the problem.

If it was easy everyone could do it. :D
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

side 1.jpg
side 1.jpg
The dry build is going according to plan. I was planning on most things being a problem. having got the rear guard to sit level and straight I put the rack on and it was level..........well with the bike on its side stand it was level. I sorted that with a very strong ratchet strap and a long piece of wood. Then the seat wouldn't fit as the guard was too high. Soa bit more adjustment was necessary. But I think it looks good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

Sorry I can't get the photos a sensible size
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Harry44 wrote:Sorry I can't get the photos a sensible size
Reduce them to 800 x 600 pixels.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

You do not show the front wheel. When you fit the wheel, make sure the non threaded end of the spindle is flush with the forks, then tighten up the four fork cap nuts to hold the wheel tight in its correct place on the spindle. Tighten the spindle nut last, the fork legs will pull in on the spindle if the cap nuts are not tight..
rear%201.jpg
Reduce and / or crop pictures. This is 600 x 800 also cropped, makes it a 4X more smaller file, than just reduced to 600 x 800
Last edited by Rob Harknett on Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

I've just fitted a pair of Indian made mudguards to the '54 G3 that I'm building up. I found the build quality to be very good and the holes that were pre-drilled lined up ok. The finish was a little rough in places but fettled a bit and given a few coats of high build primer, they came up very well. Finished in gloss black and clear lacquered.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

Rob Harknett wrote:You do not show the front wheel. When you fit the wheel, make sure the non threaded end of the spindle is flush with the forks, then tighten up the four fork cap nuts to hold the wheel tight in its correct place on the spindle. Tighten the spindle nut last, the fork legs will pull in on the spindle if the cap nuts are not tight..
rear%201.jpg
Reduce and / or crop pictures. This is 600 x 800 also cropped, makes it a 4X more smaller file, than just reduced to 600 x 800
Thanks Rob, I'm still deciding what to do at the front. The wheel was rebuilt before I bought the bike and the tyre rubs on the new mudguard because the rim is 1/4 inch too far to the left. I've rebuilt wheels before so I'm sure I can get it centred between the fork legs but will the drum still be true ?