Indian mudguards

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Rob Harknett

Re: Indian mudguards

Post by Rob Harknett »

Fitted how I suggest, I have always found the anchor hangs down very close to the drum fixing hole. This should give some idea of alignment being OK also rim offset if correct.
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

Yeah the hub and drum line up ok its the rim offset that is wrong so it'll mean adjusting the spokes. I looked at the alignment of the spindle but there isn't enough room to shift it 1/4 inch the hub hits the right fork leg long before that
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Hi Alan, I have always built the front wheel so that the rim is central between the forks and as you have built wheels before you will know slacken the nipples on the narrow side two flats all around the rim and tighten the nipples on wide side two flats to pull the rim central, easy enough to do it on the bike.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

cbranni wrote:Hi Alan, I have always built the front wheel so that the rim is central between the forks and as you have built wheels before you will know slacken the nipples on the narrow side two flats all around the rim and tighten the nipples on wide side two flats to pull the rim central, easy enough to do it on the bike.

Colin
Yup that bit is easy. It's just I've only done it on wheels with solid hubs ie disc brakes. But I've heard of people having trouble with the front drum going oval while trueing the rim.
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

Yes it happens Harry. I have bought a few "restored" bikes in the past which have had new rims fitted and the brakes were grabby due to the drums being pulled out of true. I think it is always safer to get the drums skimmed after fitting new rims.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.