New rebuild engine problem

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Groily

Re: New rebuild engine problem

Post by Groily »

Very good question Les - I have no idea why not - and I wouldn't have made an all over one had I not read Biscuit's counsel. He reckoned on 60,000 miles for a bottom end if I recall correctly, and I was suitably impressed . .
I suppose if the factory had had the materials available that we have today, they'd probably have machined an O ring groove and fitted something foolproof on the filter tunnel joint, as some owners have.
There are so many things we can do to 'improve' things with the benefit of hindsight and modern gizmos, and quite a lot which in fact the factory could have done differently too, had they not been bound by their own history, tooling, design constraints and probably above all by Bean Counters! But on the whole, they didn't do so badly I reckon: most of what we all do, however pleased we might be with the results, is only tinkering round the edges and often just 'get-rounds'. It's fun doing them though, and basking in the self-satisfaction that only people like us can know!
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

you know I don't have a twin, well not an AMC one, but reading through this forum posting in my view probably makes this the best one make club there is, 'tis constructive, enlightening, differing points of view argued, and most confusing to an 'erk like I, but I love it, I was once introduced to 'Buscuit' such a loss. Kind regards
ducati2242

Post by ducati2242 »

Any way its all back together , only the seat to go on and the tank bolts to wire , and had it running for 15 minutes in the garage , started second kick , no oil leaks anywhere . I know it needs a good run but it is looking promising .