affiliation

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Janet

Re: affiliation

Post by Janet »

bigwol wrote:As we now have no secretary will there be secretary scribblings going forward?
For the time being, Ron is willing to post the MAG and FBHVC newletters. Regarding minutes of meetings, I made a unilateral decision to take down and type up the minutes for uploading to 'Secretary's Scribblings' until such time as a member comes forward to take on the role, or the next AGM when my tenure as club president expires, whichever is the earlier. The minutes for the October committee meeting have suffered a delay in checking because I have been busy with other club matters from my president's role, but they will be uploaded soon.
It has been my intention to offer to undertake a committee role when I have the available time to do so with confidence I would be able to fulfil the responsibilities associated, this is unlikely to be before retirement which is a few years away yet. Hopefully there will still be a viable club but if I do indeed take on a role I will be uncomfortable with decisions taken without the full knowledge of the membership.
I only stood for the president's 'job' last year because there were 3 committee vacancies and I wanted to help keep the club going until someone more suitable takes over. Adding to that, a share of other posts wasn't really in my manifesto but I'll do it for the benefit of the club.
clive

Post by clive »

bigwol wrote:?......... Hopefully there will still be a viable club but if I do indeed take on a role I will be uncomfortable with decisions taken without the full knowledge of the membership.
My inclination is to say "oh for goodness sake stop bleating or come on the committee now". The chairman took an initiative to investigate what other clubs were experiencing with ageing membership and lack of people coming forward to take committee posts. Yes other committee members were unaware, but we hold only 4 meetings a year (one of them at the Jampot) and at the next meeting it was discussed and the committee view was nothing acceptable came of it.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

..............decisions regarding "changes or developments" are made without our knowledge? It is, after all, our club. Why was there no mention of any of this at the AGM? While I have my own opinion of the VMCC and how they do things it does seem at least they are more transparent with their members as committee meeting minutes appear to be available to all. Are ours?

Committee minutes are published for all to see, also circulated to all sections reps. But as you know we do not have a secretary at present, Janet has offered to help. One person can only do so much, so be thank full for that. Also up to 2,000 miles a year traveling to do the job. Only 30/40 members can manage 100 yards walk from the Jampot rally field to attend an AGM.
As a matter of interest I was once secretary for a club with over 2,000 members. That was long ago almost before we had the internet. I only drew up brief minutes, in the form of Sec Scribbling's, published in the club magazine. Any member of that club could send me an SAE for photo copy of meeting minutes. Only one member of that club requested minutes on a fairly regular basis. I also had up to 4 hours meeting on mini cassette Dictaphone. Mainly for my own use to assist what I never managed to minute in writing. One member once said to me, you must talk about more than what's published in the minutes. I said yes we do, here' s a recording of it. Byeeeee.
Our committee meets four times a year, each meeting lasts between 3 to 4 hours. A lot of work has to be done by a committee member via electronic communication with other committee members only. Or the job will never get done. If all that amounted to 24 hours of meeting, how can that possibly be reported upon at an AGM in about an hour?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

clive wrote: The chairman took an initiative to investigate what other clubs were experiencing with ageing membership and lack of people coming forward to take committee posts.
Quite. I support anyone havng the initiative to learn how other clubs are addressing vital issues. There was no binding commitment; only an exploratory discussion after all.
It's only those who do anything who risk criticism (and sometimes I wonder why they bother).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

There was at time when all committee members gave a report at meetings. This took quite some time at meetings. Do all the club members really want to know all I have done since the last meeting ? I do not think so. However if anything does crop up that needs approval by the committee or indeed the full membership. This is always done. Otherwise people doing a job, just do it.
bigwol

Post by bigwol »

clive wrote:
bigwol wrote:?......... Hopefully there will still be a viable club but if I do indeed take on a role I will be uncomfortable with decisions taken without the full knowledge of the membership.
My inclination is to say "oh for goodness sake stop bleating or come on the committee now". The chairman took an initiative to investigate what other clubs were experiencing with ageing membership and lack of people coming forward to take committee posts. Yes other committee members were unaware, but we hold only 4 meetings a year (one of them at the Jampot) and at the next meeting it was discussed and the committee view was nothing acceptable came of it.
There has been much criticism of apathy from the general membership but when I voice concerns and seek answers I am "bleating"? Really? Very encouraging response Clive. Incidentally I have read the June minutes and had it not been for this thread would be completely in the dark regarding the reason for and content of the Chairpersons meeting or the committees response to it. Incidentally I already carry out a voluntary function for the club in what is extremely limited spare time and would do more if I could and applaud those who do put in the work to keep the club running, however if I am going to be criticised for asking questions may just sit back and let you get on with it.
It's all just riding motorbikes
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

?......... Hopefully there will still be a viable club but if I do indeed take on a role I will be uncomfortable with decisions taken without the full knowledge of the membership.
How would you do this Dave ??? Send everyone a letter ? Publish in Jampot ? All that could take 3/4 months. Any response would be from very few members. A debate would go on while the topic becomes history. However, the club has rules and the company A of A's. These state how the club is run and managed. Which everyone accepts when becoming a member. So the committee do the job as best they can. OK just lets say by 10 people. Some issues must be raised at an AGM. So the full membership can be informed Dave. This year's AGM was a good turn out about 40 members attended. Say 10 committee and 30 from the full membership. To say only about 3% of the membership are interested in having their say would be wrong. However, decisions are taken by the few present at the AGM, not by the full membership. Most are happy and accept the way the club is run, letting those that do the work get on with the job. This is evident if you read this months Jampot, re " letters "
There's something very true in the old saying " Too many cooks...... " Members should also be aware, to change the way the club is run would require new A of A's drawn up. Legal fees would be several £1,000's. Who's job will that be to oversee ????
ma120990

Post by ma120990 »

Rob Harknett wrote:Hits on you tube are bound to be a higher % of youngish people. They out number the average age of a classic bike club member. Compare hits on our web site. Often non members logged on out number members by 100,000%. Is it because they are more interested in our club than us members.
Youtube Video clip views now top 20,000 and climbing daily..! Just imagine if the videos came from a Jampot branded source with links to the club web site and spares scheme site (free advertising and publicity or just pandering to the curious)? :? :?
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

Good ideas, all we need now is a few volunteers :headbang: