Missing top engine mount

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Roey

Missing top engine mount

Post by Roey »

Having taken the tank off my 1961 G3 recently, I noticed there was no top engine to frame mount, is this missing or was it not fitted originally?

Thanks in advance

Mick
Rob Harknett

Re: Missing top engine mount

Post by Rob Harknett »

That old parts list may come in handy to tell you Mick. Maybe this is for your bike. The actual stay not shown , but appears to be different from earlier years except on G3C which is the same as earlier years.
Ashampoo_Snap_2017.09.28_15h02m44s_002_.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

Roey wrote:Having taken the tank off my 1961 G3 recently, I noticed there was no top engine to frame mount, is this missing or was it not fitted originally?

Thanks in advance

Mick
I think these are commonly missing. The longer studs are easy to make but the bracket is quite thick so if you can find a small bit of right angled steel that would make the job easier. Once in place it's not very visible anyway. As it's out of sight it might be best to use nyloc nuts on it. Cheers. Bruce.
Roey

Post by Roey »

thornebt wrote:
Roey wrote:Having taken the tank off my 1961 G3 recently, I noticed there was no top engine to frame mount, is this missing or was it not fitted originally?

Thanks in advance

Mick
I think these are commonly missing. Cheers. Bruce.

Bruce, when you say they are commonly missing, does that mean that they are unnecessary?

Mick
clive

Post by clive »

Vibration will be reduced if fitted, so unnecessary if you are happy with the current feel at speed.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Not unnecessary in my experience. Anyway, AMC would've been too tight to fit something that wasn't needed and adversely affect profit (!) margin.

Johnny B
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

It was fitted as standard as far as I'm aware - I certainly have one on my 61 G3 which I believe is as per factory.

It's there for a reason, so I'd recommend fitting one - easily fabricated if AMOC spares or AMC Classic doesn't carry them.

Don't be disillusioned by the ride feeling OK - the stay is fitted to restrain engine movement and in doing so may transmit a differing overall vibration sensation to the rider - riding without it fitted will place a whole new set of stresses and strains on the bike which it may not have been designed to cope with.

Regards Mick
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Studs with the threaded top, for the head steady are seen in the parts list picture.
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

Roey wrote:
thornebt wrote:

Thanks in advance

Mick
I think these are commonly missing. Cheers. Bruce.

Bruce, when you say they are commonly missing, does that mean that they are unnecessary?

Mick
I didn't have one on my G80 for the best part of twenty years. I fitted one recently after the engine rebuild. I agree that if it's supposed to be there it must be worth fitting. Cheers. Bruce.
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

My G3C has a combination of these two parts

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw ... y&_sacat=0

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Origi ... SwwBJZzm13

This combination fits directly to the frame top tube. My old 1961 (Duplex frame) was different, it had small piece of tube brazed into the frame top tube for the head steady to bolt to, do you have this?

Peter