lead additive- Tetraboost

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
StephenG80

lead additive- Tetraboost

Post by StephenG80 »

Just wondering if anyone here uses tetraboost, see: http://tetraboost.com/

and if it makes any noticeable difference re performance i.e. smoothness and "torqueiness" NOT hp/speed!

Thanks

Stephen
g5wqian

Re: lead additive- Tetraboost

Post by g5wqian »

i have used a few octane boosters in my ajs twin but to be honest no real effect noticed , and now i dont bother with them as it runs just fine on the esso super unleaded 97 ron .

i would have thought that the 10% alcohol in the petrol at the pump would have given more power boost than any additive .

not sure on the legalities of using certain amounts of octane boosters on the roads here but would have thought if you just used C16 racing fuel as an additive it would provide the necessary protection for high compression engines and would possibly be cheaper than some additives by quantity ..

if i remember rightly C16 is 116 octane .

not sure on its price now but is obtainable relatively easily .
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Most of our old bikes will still have lead friendly engines, unless they have rebuilt clean engines. So a dirty engine will have enough lead in it to run with no difference noticed, for quite some time. The old singles are even less fussy. Basically of 1930's design, they do not need the high Octane fuel. What you will notice is improvement using todays 97 octane fuel ??? I certainly noticed this with my pre war bikes. They seemed quite nippy. Even exceed the MPH claimed on the old road tests. You need to remember mid / late 30's petrol was only about 79 octane. So todays 97 octane quite a boost for the old bikes engine.
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

Thanks Rob and g5wqian - I have just been using standard unleaded so it would seem super unleaded is a better option, I'll give that a go then and skip the additives.

cheers Stephen
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

Hi Stephen, you seem to have come to a sound decision. I use 97 octane petrol in my tuned 18S (scrambles cams, 8.5 to 1 piston) and it runs fine on pump petrol without any additives. No problems with valve seat recession despite regular longish 70mph runs. I used to use an additive in my standard G80S, but stopped and noticed no difference whatsoever. I have never had any problems with petrol 'going off' over winter, and no problems starting in the spring, either. However, The 18S tank has pinholed near the back - no visible leaks but the paint has blistered. This after 11 years, using the old pre-ethanol proof Petseal, so I have not got away with it completely. Hopefully using ethanol-proof sealant would obviate this problem - I will report back in 11 years time! Andy
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

Thanks Andy - I think that seals the deal for me. I am getting a little obsessed with wondering if my G80s is set up right in that I don't have any other G80s experience to compare it with and no one locally who has, who can take her for a spin and confirm she is pretty much spot on. My only other British single experience is from a few years on a RE model G - a very laid back happy plodder. My G80s just seems a little less chilled but I put that down to being a 500 and not 350 and also higher compression ratio etc.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The model G was really a lively 350 at the time. Expect the G80 to feel more powerful and faster.
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

I remember attending a lecture by a guy from the oil industry talking about engine oils and fuels.

He was very passionate about their products and hated the idea of additives.

He said "We spend millions on research and you think you can improve on that by guesswork"

He may have a point as well as a vested interest.
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

Very true Harry, same goes for trying to improve on timing advance marks etc, I suppose, we seem to forget all of the RD that goes in before production. My model G Rob was great - my favourite run was from Durness to Edinburgh heading to my sisters wedding in the '80s. I had my border terrier in a bag on the tank and a ferret in a box in the back, as you do, and half way across the forth road bridge Jasper decides the view from the box was not great so escaped to join the dog on the petrol tank. I pull up at the toll booth and the guy looks down and just said "I've been in this job 20 years and I have now seen it all now- thanks" before lifting barrier and waving me through. The return trip was not so straight forward, the exhaust valve head came adrift just past Bonar Bridge! - that model G accelerated well but would not do over 69mph no matter what.
Last edited by StephenG80 on Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Expat

Post by Expat »

:rofl: :rofl:

That's quite a tale Stephen, I bet Benny Hill could have penned a funny song about the fastest terrier and ferret in the north. :D

Regards, Steve
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)