40 year old mot exemption

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
REW

Re: 40 year old mot exemption

Post by REW »

That is mentioned in this document Rob but at least it is your choice - a statutory limit wouldn't be. As MAG says - let the rider decide. Read the newsletter I post (for the mo)
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
Janet

Post by Janet »

REW wrote:That is mentioned in this document Rob but at least it is your choice - a statutory limit wouldn't be.
Yes indeed. People opt for limited mileage to pay a reduced insurance premium. I've always had unlimited mileage on car and bikes and, when I was employed, business use, too. Those involved in any discussions about changes in the MOT rules need to be fully aware of the consequences on owners/riders/drivers.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Yes understand what you are say about insurance mileage limits, which are not actually enforced.
Putting a mileage limit on old motor cycles may be very difficult. First you would need to have mileage officially checked yearly on the bike. To over come a major problem, mileage may have to start at 80 years old + 1 for each year after 2017. WHY ?
The first bike I ever rode was a 1937 AJS 350 back in 1956. It did not have a speedo. I was not breaking the law. In 1956 I was actually stopped and told by the policeman I was to be booked for not having a speedo. I said, a bike must have a speedo if registered after July 1937. My bike was registered before July 1937. He said, I've not heard of that one. He followed me home to check my log book. But still said, I think you can expect to receive a summons. I was not summons. I am sure the law still applies re a speedo must be fitted if registered after July 1937. There are later laws for other machines for which require a speedo after a certain date.
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

Some of the suggestions in that document are too complicated in fact worse than having an MoT.

For instance a safety check of brakes lights steering and suspension is pretty much the same as an MoT on most old bikes anyway. So would create a two tier MoT. just increasing bureaucracy, what's the point ?

The same with checks on mileage its more trouble than its worth and disconnecting speedos on old vehicles is so easy how would you police it ?

Once the politicians have finished mucking about it will be down to us at DVSA to sort out a practical solution. That entails doing it within our current budget. Exempting vehicles from MoT is cheap. Two tier systems and mileage checks will cost money.

As for dating modifications, how?
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
clive

Post by clive »

Ho Hum, possible mileage limit on a bike where the speedo can be clocked by simply unscrewing the glass and turning the numbers backwards with an electrical screwdriver. Of course that would be illegal and I would never consider such actions :rofl:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

clive wrote:Ho Hum, possible mileage limit on a bike where the speedo can be clocked by simply unscrewing the glass and turning the numbers backwards with an electrical screwdriver. Of course that would be illegal and I would never consider such actions :rofl:
That raises another point. I'm not a lawyer, but, I don't think at present its illegal to turn back the clock. I think that is covered by consumer laws "misrepresentation" or similar. So its only a breach of the law if you sell the bike and claim that to be the true mileage.

So it might take primary legislation to make it an offence, and this government won't want to have extra laws to pass while they are dealing with brexit.
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed