Motorcycle Lift or Ramp?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Group Leader

Motorcycle Lift or Ramp?

Post by Group Leader »

In eager :D anticipation of the winter maintenance schedule I've been toying with the idea of elevating the machine to make things a bit easier.

So, the question is what are the Pros and Cons of motorcycle ramps and motorcycle lifts?

Here are a couple of examples:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cml3-hy ... ylce-lift/

https://www.on-bike.com/product/motorbi ... ginal-red/

Has anyone got any views?

TIA

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
ajscomboman

Re: Motorcycle Lift or Ramp?

Post by ajscomboman »

Go for the Machinemart type. I've got both types but only use the smaller lift type if one bike is already on the larger lift. You can spread out parts and tools on the larger lift and also when its time for oil changes its easier to put bowls underneath and use straps to stabilise the bike when you want the centre stand up out off the way.
uktom77

Motorcycle Lift or Ramp?

Post by uktom77 »

My Dad and I Restored our first Matchless using an eazyrizer in a small (half sized) garage. Great for space saving and getting at front wheel/forks and rear wheel at the same time. Seen a few 2nd hand on EBay recently. Although as 'Ajscomboman' says the bigger bench type is great for having tools and oil trays etc on. One of each I say, have four bikes now so always two needing something doing!
Last edited by uktom77 on Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

I bought the larger ramp type and it's great. The other type looks like an accident waiting to happen to me but I accept it must be appropriately designed. Cheers. Bruce.
uktom77

Post by uktom77 »

You'd be trying very hard to manage to push the Eazyriser over. It does look unstable but is far from it.
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

Eazyriser wins my vote too
Sam
Janet

Post by Janet »

My neighbour had one of those and his bike fell off it.

A piece of advice chaps. Don't raise your bike on one of these and then remove both it's wheels. Having it fall over on the ground isn't clever but from a couple of feet up is really silly.
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

There was a guy called Mick Hosker from Brum selling a bike lift at the Bristol classic bike show today,looked superb either a 14" wide or 24" wide �270 and �310 seriously thinking of buying one.He's going to be at the VMCC at the Bath and West on 5th March.

This is a post I made from 2011 I bought the bike lift and now 6 years on I still use it absolutely brilliant, not sure if he's still trading but worth a shout.

Just googled his name and found this post from 2017 another bike club, which suggests he's still trading.

A guy at the Stafford Show who is based in Birmingham make a really good one which utilises a Halfords trolley jack as the hydraulic lift.

It's unpainted but he will powder coat them at extra cost. (£80.00)

Cost was around £350.00 and they come in two widths (14 & 24 inch), have a rear wheel removable plate, front wheel stop, four position ratchet stop, tie down points, loading ramp and foot operated jack.

He will deliver free within a 40 mile radius

Looks as though he frequents bike shows, well worth a look.

Mick Hosker 0121 433 5739 (MOB 07976 674104)
Mike
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Old hospital bed £50, couple of bits of 4 x 2" timber few coach bolts., couple of planks in the middle of the 4 x 2 , Cut off side of bed top frame not wanted. Lots of room for all tools and parts. Need more space, pull out frame used for bed linen when making the bed. 3x4 foot loose top on that. Space under bed for junk. Wheels about easy. Foot pedal pumps it up / down, has side ways tilt, so can easy tip the bike off if you get angry. Trailer ramp used to get bike on / off.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Bite the bullet ............go for a ramp type like Machine Mart, as you get older it makes working on bikes easier, also makes a great bench when not is use, wouldn't be without mine.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow