Motorcycle Lift or Ramp?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
sjr

Re: Motorcycle Lift or Ramp?

Post by sjr »

mikeydpippin wrote:There was a guy called Mick Hosker from Brum selling a bike lift at the Bristol classic bike show today,looked superb either a 14" wide or 24" wide �270 and �310 seriously thinking of buying one.He's going to be at the VMCC at the Bath and West on 5th March.

This is a post I made from 2011 I bought the bike lift and now 6 years on I still use it absolutely brilliant, not sure if he's still trading but worth a shout.

Just googled his name and found this post from 2017 another bike club, which suggests he's still trading.

A guy at the Stafford Show who is based in Birmingham make a really good one which utilises a Halfords trolley jack as the hydraulic lift.

It's unpainted but he will powder coat them at extra cost. (£80.00)

Cost was around £350.00 and they come in two widths (14 & 24 inch), have a rear wheel removable plate, front wheel stop, four position ratchet stop, tie down points, loading ramp and foot operated jack.

He will deliver free within a 40 mile radius

Looks as though he frequents bike shows, well worth a look.

Mick Hosker 0121 433 5739 (MOB 07976 674104)

I too have one of Mick Hosker's lifts. It is mechanically superb, very straightforward and strong design. It incorporates a Halfords standard jack so any hydraulic failure is easily coped with by simply lifting the jack out and replacing. My garage is long but quite narrow so I went for the narrow platform version, and I'm glad I did. Using tiedowns to the eyebolts on the platform anchors the bike rigidly and it won't tip since the feet on the floor are set much wider. Heartily recommended.
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

Thanks for the updates. Has anyone got any photographs of the Mick Hosker version? Sounds good.

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

http://s191.photobucket.com/user/mikeyd ... ent&page=1

Alan,
I've attached some pics of Mick Hoskers table lift, well used for many years and still going strong.
As you can see the only fault your likely to get is the halfords jack, which can easily be replaced.
Hope pics are of use to you.
Good working height and as you see adjustable, lift the table move stay across, lower jack and no weight on jack.
Mike
sjr

Post by sjr »

IMG_20151214_105647.jpg
Hosker 2.jpg
Hosker 1.jpg
Here is more Hoskerama, mine is about 3 years old, has had intensive use on several bikes. Like the previous poster I havent bothered putting the wheels on, I just drag it across the floor when I want to clear the space in my fairly compact garage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

That's good if you must have a narrow lift but at £350 plus the jack it's more expensive than a new Sealy lift, (I paid £356 last year for mine).

Just noticed it's now available for £349

Regards Mick
Janet

Post by Janet »

Alternatively, you could do what Glyn does. If any job requires kneeling down or lying on the floor, he gets The Wife* to do it.

*Other types of workers are available.

Edit:typed my le back to front with my el
Last edited by Janet on Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
REW

Post by REW »

Mick D wrote:Hi

That's good if you must have a narrow lift but at £350 plus the jack it's more expensive than a new Sealy lift, (I paid £356 last year for mine).

Just noticed it's now available for £349

Regards Mick
Which model and where from Mick? I have to say though, I like the Hosker narrow item as it also provides a use for an otherwise awkward lump of trolley jack doing next to nowt. Compact all round too.
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Ron

Bought mine from Amazon and now it's even cheaper:

It's around 20" wide which is 4" narrower than the footrests - personally I'd prefer to have the extra area available to spread my tools etc. around when working on the bike.

Can't see if the Hosker one is lockable, (in case of jack hydraulic failure), which the Sealy is.

Regards Mick
sjr

Post by sjr »

Yes the Hosker locks into a rack at the front of the lift which supports everything leaving you to remove the jack entirely if you wish. I trhink the mechanism was described in one of the earlier posts.
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

I've got one of these. it works well and copes with my Honda Pan European which weighs 330 Kg Its got a removable panel under the rear wheel to make wheel removal easier and a clamp for the front wheel. It has no tie down points but me Black and Decker soon cured that. It's got a locking bar for safety.

I also have a scissor lift that goes under the engine to lift wheels off the ground for bikes without a centre stand, or stands that don't get the wheels clear of the deck. I drilled holes for that too so it bolts to the deck of the lift. this makes it far safer.
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango