Motorhome

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
mikeydpippin

Motorhome

Post by mikeydpippin »

In preparation for my partial retirement my next purchase will be a motorhome with garage, am I right in saying a garage on most motorhomes are 44" high therefore the Matchless G3 will fit in it, and the weight of the Matchless will be in region of 180kg.
I see there are ramps to get bike inside, preference would be inside because of security and safety.
Not sure of which make model to get but will looking for a 6 berth.
All thoughts ideas welcome.
Mike
Mike
ajscomboman

Re: Motorhome

Post by ajscomboman »

Wouldn't even consider it. My old fella has a lightweight scooter to go in his and even that's a real pain to get in. Also with such a high garage space the rear bed is a ridiculous height to get in and out off.
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Remember when you reach 7o, God willing, over 3.5 tonnes gets complicated and even worse when driving abroad!heavy bikes are best towed, I have a rack on mine but. 150kg is maximum.
Alan [Morini] Jennings
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Hi john. Can I place an order to hire it for the 2018 Jampot rally as I am sure you won't be there. ;) ;)
Roy
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Interesting comments, food for thought, thanks for that, I presume most attendees at the Jampot pull there bikes on trailers.
Will look for alternatives at the Bath and West show tomorrow.
Mike
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Are you placing bets on my arrival?

I still plan to ride to Plymouth ferry to Santander and ride through Spain.

Johnny B
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

Hi Micky, a 6 berth garage equipped motor home aint gonna be small or cheap, on top of which you have all the expenses associated with a motor vehicle and i disadvantages, a motor home of this size I don't think would be suitable as a second vehicle for domestic use, i.e running down to the shops.
I thought long and hard about obtaining something similar when I sold our little business along with which went the firms van. I eventually purchased a smallish van with very little recorded mileage and had to fight to be first in line for it [aToyota Hiace 2004], I had a small caravan at the time, I had a pair of windows put in the van, lined it with wood, towbar etc. the thing is small enough to be used every day if necessary but was big enough to transport two of us plus 2 bikes to Latvia couple months ago. I now have a larger 4 berth caravan,and with an awning and bedroom attachments this would accomodate 6 sleeping, I have enough room to keep it all on the front of the house so storage is not a problem, I have doubts that a motorhome would accomodate 6 persons when being driven..
Bert Spicer and chum Tony from Kent have smallish motor homes and trailer their bikes all over the U.K and continent, they really do use them a lot and get their monies worth from them, perhaps a word with 'em would give you a steer. Kind regards