56 light switch

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
alanengineer

Re: 56 light switch

Post by alanengineer »

I found another headlamp shell of the same type. The switch was glued in badley and the switch itself had several gouges out of the top flange. So i had something i could break in my need for knowledge. Unpicked the glue, wiggle, wiggle and a tap with a hammer and out it came.
Back to good headlamp, i can see the grooves for the clip, no clip. Dig around with my scalpel wherever possible and remove black stuff, probably petrified 'O' ring and then tap the back of the switch. And its out and unbroken. Its a nice proper switch, really didnt want to replace it with pattern stuff.

Thanks for your help and suggestions

Alan
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Alan

On mine there are small "ears" in the headlamp shell and corresponding indents in the switch body so there's not much room for a "wiggle"

I didn't have a clip and at the time they were not available. I used some heavy gauge steel modelling (piano) wire and made a former of the right (ha ha ) size by driving nails into a block of wood. while heating the wire I formed a clip and once shaped I took to red heat and quenched it. That gave it enough spring to work; would've been better if I'd know that it wasn't meant to be flat. Broke it when last removed the switch and couldn't be bothered so used some double sided tape!

Hope all goes OK for you.

Johnny B
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

AH you have spoilt my day. I had forgot , i needed a spring to put it back. Only joking, now where is my pot of nails.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Well a little patience paid off. I did mention the U shape tab tongue or what ever you choose to call it, hence just wiggle.
Ashampoo_Snap_2017.09.08_16h40m09s_001_.png
Here's that clip. My drawing from memory not far out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.