56 light switch

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
alanengineer

56 light switch

Post by alanengineer »

Hi
How do i remove the light switch off a 3 piece headlamp without breaking it. I have taken the switch lever off and i cant find what holds the switch in. Even looked in my manuals
dave16mct

Re: 56 light switch

Post by dave16mct »

There's a large, funny shaped circlip, just a bent piece of wire really, underneath.
Dave.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

That clip is difficult to see, even more so too replace if the rubber seal is a bit large. Don't forget to disconnect the battery. Never try to lever up the switch lip. Lubricate the body and push/turn from the bottom. If you are going to replace the rubber, the old may be stuck. Break the rubber out, then there's more room to get the clip off, the switch come out easier also as no longer stuck in via the rubber seal. I am sure there is a U groove in the switch body and tongue in the hole. Long time since I had a switch out. So it may not turn much. Perhaps that should be just a wiggle and push out from the bottom.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

I cant find a rubber seal or a wire clip. The central body has a bit of movement up and down 1/2 mm. The switch has a big flange on the under side as well as on top. It also looks in good condition, so i dont want to break it.

Alan
clive

Post by clive »

does not sound original fitment to me. The underside of the switch should show all the connecting points. does yours? is it possible that its a wrong switch.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The clip is very difficult to see, get out and replace Alan. I only have a thin O ring seal on mine, perhaps that's non standard. As it is very difficult to fit, you may not have one. Your switch stuck in with sealant. You may have to have the lamp apart. If you struggle and do get the clip out. It will much more difficult to replace. The clip is very tight up against the inside of the shell, Almost buried in the groove it fits. From memory looks a bit like this, it does not lay flat, so must go back the correct way up. Not only dose the clip hold the switch in, it is also a spring, so holds the switch tight up against the shell.
1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

I think its time i worked out to post a photo, i have suggested it to others many times. cant be difficult once you have done it a few times.
I have the headlamp apart at the moment, so i can clearly see what i have in my hand (with glasses and a magnifying glass) and i cant see that clip. I assume the headlamp is the one with a small hole on the left and a bigger hole on the right and a speedo hole, back and central.

It all came from a box of bits that , so far, seems to have all been part of the same bike once apon a time.

I will look again in the morning, and try photos!

alan
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Maybe I am referring to the wrong headlamp
Ashampoo_Snap_2017.09.07_22h38m18s_001_.png
This is the one I am referring to.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Yes Rob
Thats the headlight and the switch lever looks the same.

One thing. Everything else was stipped of the headlamp and i just wondered if 'other methods have been used to fix the switch to the shell. I thought i had a spare switch in my stash somewhere
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I could think of a few bodges, I think others may have even resorted to, to secure the switch in the shell.. Fix it with sealant bead on the inside, as already mentioned. Isolation taped body or cable tie. That clip can be dodgy if not fitted correctly, it it comes off it will short out on the wire terminals. So never have the battery connected when fitting or removing the switch and clip. I found out why. The switch is quite tight in the shell just tipped a little it will dig in. A gentle approach just wriggling it straight out, better than brute force.