Rough pre-war barn find, salvageable or not?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
scudster

Rough pre-war barn find, salvageable or not?

Post by scudster »

Morning everyone.
First off I should introduce myself as I'm new to the forum. My name is John and I'm from Ireland and my knowledge of AJS bikes is very minimal although I'd like to change that. And what better place to do that than right here with your good selves.
My mother-in-law sent me a couple of photos from her friend of a what is believed to be a 1927 AJS in seriously poor condition, minus an engine and god knows what else. She asked me if it would be salvageable in its current state to which I replied in my opinion its not impossible but it would be very difficult and expensive. The owner is considering selling it. My conclusion is made from experiences restoring much more modern machines in much better condition and more readily available parts which still end up costing alot to complete.
Would my assumptions be correct? Your educated opinions are greatly appreciated.
scudster

Re: Rough pre-war barn find, salvageable or not?

Post by scudster »

Sorry phots didn't work. Try these.

Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

pics cannot be seen.
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

Hi John,
As you said, the bike is in a very poor condition and restoration depends on a few factors.
I would break it down into heart versus wallet.
If the bike has some emotional or important family history, then with time, money and a little luck then it certainly could be restored.
If you are thinking about it as a project that may also make a few quid at the end, I'd say very unlikely!
There are club members with considerable experience and knowledge of these bikes, Rob being one, and they would be able to give you an idea of costs to buy an engine and gearbox and tinware, bearing in mind these items are all getting pretty rare.
Regards Tony
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
matchbart

Post by matchbart »

Rob Harknett wrote:pics cannot be seen.

the person said pics cannot be seen, but i can see them as well... rough
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

matchbart wrote:
Rob Harknett wrote:pics cannot be seen.

the person said pics cannot be seen, but i can see them as well... rough
They could not be seen in the first instant but have now been posted. Cannot really see much of the bike need to see both sides really. Most of us will be at our club rally all this week end I'm already two days late going. no more from me now until about next Tuesday.
scudster

Post by scudster »

Thanks for your replies guys. If I get more photos I'll post them up.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Looks well past it's sell by date to me !! only a labour of love and a massively deep pocket will bring that back to life
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The bike appears to be little more than frame, forks and wheels. That leaves a lot of expensive bits to find, if ever. Like engine, gearbox, carb, mag, tank, electrics and instruments. The cheapest and only way I see you getting all that, is to buy a complete bike. It may be difficult to ID what year model the bike is. Unless a frame number is available. From what I can see, its not 1927. The rear frame appears to be for over 350 c.c, the forks 1929 onwards. I am also taking your word, it is actually an AJS. If you want to keep the bike for sentimental reasons only, tidy it up and just give it a good coat of Owatrol. View what remains of ???? bike, as a preserved relic.
scudster

Post by scudster »

Quick update,
The bike went up for auction today. It was listed as a 1927 AJS 500. Rob, I reckon your identification of it being a 1929 model is correct.
Link here https://www.victormeeauctions.ie/product/lot-216-5/
The photo in the link is better than what I posted earlier.
Ive been told it made €400